Found my first button, cant identify

riffdoctor

Greenie
Oct 14, 2007
northeast missouri
Detector(s) used
whites spectrum xlt
Found this last Sunday and finally got my scanner working to post it, its not the best but I did some research and found a brick house built in 1850 still standing, got permission to look and low and behold about 6" down, bingo. Only got to look about 20 minutes but believe me I'm goin back! Also found 3 bulletts but I think they were modern. Anyway just wanted to share this, and if anyone has any ideas I cant seem to find one just like it on the web or in my books. The back is too corroded to read but best guess is waterbury, but not sure. Thanks for any input, all the best.

Attachments

• cwbutton.jpg
    cwbutton.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 507
  • buttonanddime.jpg
    buttonanddime.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 453

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It sure looks CW era but the back mark will determine that. See if you can pick it clean with a toothpick. Some aluminum jelly would really make this one shine! Nice find!
Mike :)

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Looks like a General Staff button. The dome doesn't seem to be particularly high though. Can we get a side shot and a back shot?
^-----I meant Staff Officers Button :-\

OP
OP
riffdoctor

riffdoctor

Greenie
Oct 14, 2007
northeast missouri
Detector(s) used
whites spectrum xlt
Ok, this may be a stupid question, but what is aluminum jelly and where do I get it? Never heard of that but Ill try it. I'll try to get pics of back and side after work, thanks for all your help guys(and gals).

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Duro® Aluminum Jelly Corrosion Remover

Restores and brightens dull, oxidized aluminum in minutes

Quickly and easily removes layers of "white rust," dirt and grime -- simply brush on and rinse off

Attachments

• jelly.jpg
    jelly.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 424
OP
OP
riffdoctor

riffdoctor

Greenie
Oct 14, 2007
northeast missouri
Detector(s) used
whites spectrum xlt
Here you go wildrider, back and side, whew do you know how hard it is to balance a button on its side without falling, ha ha ha, anyway hope these help, thanks again.

Attachments

• cwbuttonback.jpg
    cwbuttonback.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 409
  • buttonside.jpg
    buttonside.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 452

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Only use aluminum jelly on buttons that show gold gilt. If you use it on others, It may damage them.
Mike :)

OP
OP
riffdoctor

riffdoctor

Greenie
Oct 14, 2007
northeast missouri
Detector(s) used
whites spectrum xlt
Thanks for everyones help, as soon as I figure out where to buy that jelly around here I'll try it. All the best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread