Found my first cellar and what a dissapointment!!!!

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I've been Trying to find an old cellar hole to hunt for a while now, well today I finally did. I saw one side of the foundation a few hundred feet away from me and my heart started to race, I know to some of you veterans it's not that big of a deal. Well I was excited , it was a pretty big foundation every step I took I got more and more anxious to see what was inside ..... Well it didn't take much time till I hit my first target......I was ticked, now I'm just confused. How does a car get in the middle of the woods

Attachments

• image-2232953547.jpg
    image-2232953547.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 237
  • image-2640220600.jpg
    image-2640220600.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 0

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detect outside the hole....You will find more on the outside!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
People drive cars, push cars and tow cars through the woods, put them in the barn and store them, restore them or let them rot. I have come across rotting machines in all sorts of places with no roads, trails or tracks nearby. Too bad you didn't seem to have a couple of friends with you. Frames are pretty light and that one could have leaned against the wall on its side. Then you could have detected a few hundred bolts and nuts where it used to stand. THEN you could have been really sorry you braved all the catcus,thorns and snakes of south Texas to trespass and get there in the first place in the middle of summer. Oh wait, that was me and not you. Never mind...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you start finding ANYTHING 18th or 19th century, then you will want to dig every bit of trash out from that site. You will find good finds, because since it's trashy that means it has not been detected before. Just buckle up, it'll be a long ride, and at times frustrating--but hey, that can be what detecting is like at times. Make sure you post Everything you find, except for obvious aluminum can junk, because folks just starting out often throw Good finds away because they don't know what they are. The members here will recognize anything good in your trash pile if you spread it out, photograph, and post.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,

Buck

OP
OP
DanTheNewbie

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
If you start finding ANYTHING 18th or 19th century, then you will want to dig every bit of trash out from that site. You will find good finds, because since it's trashy that means it has not been detected before. Just buckle up, it'll be a long ride, and at times frustrating--but hey, that can be what detecting is like at times. Make sure you post Everything you find, except for obvious aluminum can junk, because folks just starting out often throw Good finds away because they don't know what they are. The members here will recognize anything good in your trash pile if you spread it out, photograph, and post.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,

Buck

I'll do that, next time I'll bring my 1265x in all metal that way I won't have a screen, just dig everything.

Also what do you do with all your relics? I have no room to display or really keep many items

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
What is the odds of that? They could not dump it next to the cellarhole.. Bummer!
But, it shall not be to easy to find the stuff :thumbsup:

Nanner

Jun 25, 2012
A
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 1100 discovery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everyone else. Keep hunting the area ... who knows you coulda missed something the last time you were out bc you were fustrated

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted 2 cellar holes and was also bummed when both ended up having a tin roof buried about a foot under the soil covering pretty much the whole cellar floor. but outside the hole i found an old hand water pump a cross cut saw broken in 3 peices the remains of an ox yoke and an axe head so definitely look outside the hole that place was one of coolest i've dug yet!

OP
OP
DanTheNewbie

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the bone said:
I've hunted 2 cellar holes and was also bummed when both ended up having a tin roof buried about a foot under the soil covering pretty much the whole cellar floor. but outside the hole i found an old hand water pump a cross cut saw broken in 3 peices the remains of an ox yoke and an axe head so definitely look outside the hole that place was one of coolest i've dug yet!

Yeah excited to go back, I found another cellar hole right off the path about a mile away from the first . Looks like its been hit pretty hard, it's literally right on a walking path so I can se why, however people who detected it and searched for bottles left all junk and broken antique bottles everywhere.
Anyway, the first one I found i bet has a bottle dump some where on the property, I've never searched for bottles before but maybe after I detect the sight for a while I'll learn how to!

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok how many of you think like i do, won't a 4 inch coil just get you closer to the trash and i know the therory but i just can't understand the thinking behind a smaller coil

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also wouldn't a smaller coil affect the depth that the md can get a signal at?

OP
OP
DanTheNewbie

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gunntekk1 said:
ok how many of you think like i do, won't a 4 inch coil just get you closer to the trash and i know the therory but i just can't understand the thinking behind a smaller coil

I'm going to go back with my old fisher 1265x and just dig everything on all metal, I was shooting for old coins last time so a smaller coil would help getting between targets if they are close together. However I'm going to take buckleboys advice and dig everything

OP
OP
DanTheNewbie

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticm said:
What year do you suppose that car frame is.

Not sure, I think it's older. I'm meeting up with nov2101 from TNet tomorrow morning, to do some detecting there, I'm also going to search for a bottle dump. it's a huge site and could use the help. I'll take a closer look at it supposedly some of these houses stood around till the 1930's and I don't believe them to be much old than mid 1800's .

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That building was probably used as a garage, and the car just fell in as it rotted away. I have found quite a few things in the woods I never expected over the years. I'm sure there's plenty of good stuff at that spot!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan, I kid around a bunch and don't take life too seriously, BUT as for your finds. If you don't have room for them you can do several things. Here in central Texas we have lots of flea markets. A space for the weekend is $20-$40 and most provide a table. People will always stop to look at collectibles, anything from that old stapler on one of the posts here, rocks and minerals, junk in general, the parts off that car frame like those brake drums, bolts, nuts, the frame itself and well, anything that you find. These people on this post are giving you great advice. Detect outside the cellar, check the other cellar area, move the frame and check under it, and NEVER assume that an area has been worked or is empty. The other places to sell are auto swap meets and antique and collectible stores. As an example; my friend Annette and I had an antique store in a rural area outside San Antonio and she drove me nuts wanting to detect, dig and scrounge in areas like your pictures. She found an old white(brush painted), beat to crap table with a rotted leg that just hung there. She brings it to the store, makes me help put it inside and listens patiently to my taunting her about her "Texas Primative". Less than 30 minutes later a woman came in, gasped at the Texas Primative and offered $375 dollars for it. I learned a valuable lesson that day. Truly, people will buy anything. So just detect, display the stuff you think is cool and sell the rest. And a word of caution. If you find nasty old coins, shell casings, square nails or pieces of old guns, stand back because you will be trampled in the rush. Happy hunting. By the way, I am 64 years old, retired and unless there is an a/c involved, I ain't gettin out of the car to look for anything anymore. Well, maybe on a winter day.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll do that, next time I'll bring my 1265x in all metal that way I won't have a screen, just dig everything.

Also what do you do with all your relics? I have no room to display or really keep many items

I am selective about the iron I keep. Mainly old tools that are not broken, and occasionally really ornate items like cast iron stove legs that have nice designs. Iron takes up the most space. Other stuff not so much. If you are serious about this hobby like I am, one spring or fall will fill up several display cases. A year will fill up several more. A decade will take over a room. Two decades, your whole house.

If you can't keep items, give them away to property owners. Make them display cases with the finds identified and labeled and present them to the owners as a "thank you." This will do wonders for our hobby, and as word spreads, more folks will give you permission to metal detect. It's a win/win situation.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting