Found my first fully intact pocket watch... And its GOLD!

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my first fully intact pocket watch... And it's GOLD!

Got a great quarter like signal. Found this at about 5" while hunting a very large two story home that was built on 1918. The yard is HUGE! Also found a couple of silvers, a junk ring and another suspender clasp. Best part... i got it all on film! Now... Unfortunately the insides aren't gold so the watch is pretty well corroded shut. Any ideas on how to get it open so I can see a makers mark, inscription, or karat? Great day!:cheers: vid to come

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 14

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY COW!!!
That is fantastic.

I would start with WD-40. It is made from something that a highy educated chemist in a top secret lab created for the military. It will not hurt the gold. Mode WD-40 and some gentle tapping. I am guessing the the stem was pressed down?in to release the side that covered the crystal. The other side should pop of with the gentle application on the edge of a dull pocketknife. I f you look close, you can probably see where it has been opened before.

Good luck!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Last edited:

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are familiar with hunting case pocket watches the back lid is just pressed shut and should also have a second lid under that. Take a thin blade and lightly pry the back open at the point where there is an indentation or groove, then the inside lid should also easily open the same way. This will give access to the movement. To open the front lid you will have to depress the crown. The crown is probably frozen but with repeated pressing and slight twisting back and forth it should loosen enough to let it depress and open. A little oil on the crown and the lid hinge will help. Be gentle, this looks like a nice case and the movement may be repairable. The quality of the metal will marked on the inside of the back lid.

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never recommend using WD40 anywhere on a watch.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is sweet! Great find, congrats!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats awesome!, i usually find small gears and tiny parts and thats about it! way to go

kriopelle

Jun 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 350
Bounty hunter ss
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sir is one very nice looking pocket watch. Congrats!!! If you decide to gently open the watches dust covers could you please post some more pics? Congrats and HH

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool find!!

lets see some pics after its opened!

maybe take to a jeweller to do it??

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY COW!!!
That is fantastic.

I would start with WD-40. It is made from fish oil. It will not hurt the gold. Mode WD-40 and some gentle tapping. I am guessing the the stem was pressed down?in to release the side that covered the crystal. The other side should pop of with the gentle application on the edge of a dull pocketknife. I f you look close, you can probably see where it has been opened before.

Good luck!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Bob,
Are you sure it's made from fish oil? I don't know the scientific name for fish oil but I looked before and nowhere does it say fish oil in the ingredients. Now I know there are laws and guidances on what they must put down and can withhold from ingredients but I didn't find it anywhere. I am asking out of curiousity and not trying to be facetious.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!! Can't wait to watch the vid. Good luck opening it.

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find tones I found this one here yesterday with a porcelain face not trying to high jack your thread man but share is my aim..lol... Anyhow mine was seized also but the back broke right loose when I used a cheapo pocket knife blade and some but not a lot of force! I am a master gunsmith and have found a lot of the solvents I use on gun finishes works well on most finds!! A great solvent you can get at an auto zone or napa it's called electronics cleaner or a lighter version of this is mass air flow sensor cleaner it does not eat finishes patina or metal and does not leave a residue!! Hope this helps ill be looking for the video!!

Attachments

• image-2067731848.jpg
    image-2067731848.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 128
  • image-2739559142.jpg
    image-2739559142.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 122
  • image-2724034807.jpg
    image-2724034807.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 110

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice catch on the pocket watch. Looking at the green corrosion that's leaching from the hunter case the works are at the point where they would be in rough shape, so soaking it in a penetrating oil or some other oil wouldn't cause anymore harm to the works. If the case is gold the hinge will have a brass component to it as the winder will be gold over brass, the stem will be brass for strength.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one Beautiful pocket watch! I hope you can get it opened without damaging it. Congrats :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright... I got it open! It turns out its an Elgin with serial # 6019136 wich means it came off the production line on 1896! The case is a keystone 14k thick gold filled case with a 20 year warranty...sooooo... I don't think I can return it ;) the guts are rusted and seized but man what a great find. Still a little bummed that its not a solid gold model but oh well. This was the most popular type for its time period. I'm putting together a video of the find, the opening and the research of the whole process including tons of pics. Thanks for all the help! Happy hunting!

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies to replying to this post. It is a fantastic find and a gorgeous watch.

Now the WD-40 issue. I actually thought it would be a great solvent to put on a fine watch that has been buried in the ground for years. It will not hurt the gold, it should help loosen the rust and corrosion and just maybe loosen parts up enough to get open. If you think the insides are pristine, flawless and just need winding. You just might be mistaken.

I will try and edit my post about fish oil and WD-40. I REALLY seem to have angered the natives. Can't have that.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what the insides look like when you do get it opn.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post pics of the open watch? I'd love to see the insides. Thanks

Top Member Reactions