Found my first SILVER COIN today...

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Got in a quick 1 &1/2 hour hunt today at the lot next door where an old house used to stand. The home was torn down a few years back, and I have been using this spot as a sort of "training area" with my recently purchased Delta 4000. There is plenty of trash and debris, but I have been digging just about every signal just to get the practice. I haven't been MD'ing as much as when I first bought the machine because of (1) the heat (2) violent thunderstorms that pop up every afternoon [like right this very minute] and (3) the NASTIEST case of poison ivy I have ever had. It took a week of steroids to fight it back and now my left hand looks like some sort of lizard man. Haven't had a case that bad in years. I think my hand looks like this because the itch was so bad I took out my pocket knife and popped all the blisters, then rubbed salt into the wound to try and quell the itch. It was pure misery.

Anyway, got back at it today after I left the antique mall. Dug some unidentifiable iron and brass pieces, plus the 5 or 6 token pulltabs I find on every hunt. Then the Delta rang up a high 70's number and the readout actually said .25, but I was just expecting more trash. What I got was this 1947 Washington Quarter. I think I may have cut George on the cheek getting him out, but I have heard he is a tough old guy with a high threshold for pain. Sorry about that George...

1stsilver1.jpg

1stsilver2.jpg

I just want to take the time to thank all the t-net members who have helped me reach this milestone.

I would also like to thank all the "little people" I had to step on to reach the lofty heights that I have now achieved. I couldn't have done it without you.

EDITED FOR CONTENT MY APOLOGIES

Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothin like the looks of silver in the hole[or plug]to keep you diggin!!don't feel to bad,we ALL ding em!

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! :hello2: Now that you have found the first one the rest will come easy.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CONGRATULATION'S :occasion14:

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Thanks everybody. I didn't mean to nick up this coin, but I was digging about 6 inches down in an old, compacted, gravel driveway. I was basically stabbing into the ground just chipping away at gravel when it popped out into the hole.

I found the experience to be more gratifying than scoring a 40% JFK half out of a teller tray. Quite a thrill. Hope there is more in the near future.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st of all Way to go sir!......2nd The best advice i ever got in m-detecting here is Its about 1% detecter & 99% Location, Location & Location!....You gotta put the detecter over it b4 yah find it!

Texas Jed

Jan 24, 2007
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Congrats, You should write the date and location you found it on the coin holder. That way years from now it will remind you of that day. I did the same 7 years ago with my first silver which was a roosevelt dime.

HH

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
romeo-1 said:
Nice find...but why antagonize??? Why not just try to enjoy the site and all it has to offer as opposed to "pickin' fights"?
Did I miss some of the conversation here?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Nice find...but why antagonize??? Why not just try to enjoy the site and all it has to offer as opposed to "pickin' fights"?

Just his nature, and with a losing record I guess he has to keep picking fights.

oh, nice quarter. ;D

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9:

Keep going you should find a decent one soon :icon_thumleft:

SS

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Thanks everybody. I didn't mean to nick up this coin, but I was digging about 6 inches down in an old, compacted, gravel driveway. I was basically stabbing into the ground just chipping away at gravel when it popped out into the hole.

I found the experience to be more gratifying than scoring a 40% JFK half out of a teller tray. Quite a thrill. Hope there is more in the near future.
There will be many more in the future. Silver dollars, SLQ, SPanish silver, it's all out there. Coins you halve a slimm chance finding crh'ing - Congrats!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver. And yes, digging them is way more fun than finding them in rolls.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I went back out for a few minutes before and got in another quick hunt before dark. No more coins, but I did find this old GEM safety razor.

GEMRAZOR1.jpg

GEMRAZOR2.jpg

I already have a Gillette "Fat Boy" and three straight razors, and this one will now join them. I'm going back tomorrow to look for the flap that goes on top.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread