Found My First Sterling Ring !!

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
The other day I had about 30 minutes to kill at the end of work and was no where near my usual haunts so I went a church that was my elementry school which closed about 1971. At that time I was in 1st grade and had to transition to a different school. Since then the building has been a church but an area that was the playground has never changed much. I had hunted this place when I first got my Ace 250 and once since then but it has been a while. Well I didn't find much coinage but i was going around the foot of a swingset and got a dime reading. I didn't expect this - does sterling mean it is silver??? The ring says on the inside 'sterling kiddiegem'. Also I have been hunting with the Ace in sensitivity mode 1 notch from being maxed out in areas with little trash and having lots of good luck that way. Anybody else try this technique???
DSC02159a.jpg

Thanks for looking and for reading
Mark (A.K.A. ivy_walls)

Upvote 0

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there, great find....And yes it is sterling. I don't know why but it does me more good to find a nice ring like that than to find a silver dime. Congrats to you!!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! Congrats on that silver, Mark!!!

Nana ;)

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! I found my first sterling in a churchyard.

Nat

silvergirl

Jul 12, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
prizm IV and MXT
;D Nice ring.May even be an antique. I thing .925 is silver.If it says sterling,then it should be silver. Silvergirl N.E. Indiana

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the ring. It is very pretty! I am still waiting on my first ring for this year. Kudos to you.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Sterling Silver Ring. That ole ACE 250 is hitting pay dirt for you. Congrats.

I hunt with about 4 notches on my ACE. I have hunted almost at max, but get a lot of
false signals. I also use a SunRay Probe with my ACE.

HH, Ringfinder

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
That's a cool ring! It seems that was a line of silver jewelry for kids in the 1940's-50's.

I'd hang on to that one!

Ridley

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Sterling ring. Sterling is 90% silver. A high a sensitivity setting on the Ace were you have it will hinder you from getting some deeper coins and rings since the Ace 250 doesn't have a adjustable ground balance. Turn it down some more for better performance. Try it, you'll notice the difference. Only at a non mineralized site can you use the highter sens. settings and get away with it. To prove it, go back over the same areas with reduced sensitivity.

Still a nice ring.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions