Found my oldest Indian today

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hi everyone! I was still pumped today from yesterday's finds and wanted to get back out. After getting spoiled in the turf, I was ready for a little woods torture. ;D So, Mark & I beat the rain this morning to hit an old cellar hole site. We traipsed through the woods for quite a ways, hoping the GPS wouldn't lose satellite connections. We got to the general area, and then Mark saw the telltale signs through the trees and up a little ridge. Lots of junk in the ground, and old bottles dumped in spots. Mark hit paydirt first with an amazing surface find. :o :o About 30 minutes later, I dug an Indian. I was hoping to match his find, but Indians are cool, too. :) Naturally I didn't have my magnifier with me, so I couldn't read the date on it or on any of my coins :tongue3: - so into the pouch it went.

Another 20 minutes went by and I got a good dime signal - a Merc! Oh Yeah! :thumbsup: We hit the area for a few hours and I picked up a V-nickel and another Merc, along with some interesting relics. Here's my finds, a' la JerDFX. Got a scraper, part of a music box movement on a HEAVY base, part of a Slik-Toys car, and some other stuff. I held the music box thingy to my ear, but couldn't hear the song....

All finds small.jpg

The square plate is engraved with a picture of a building and the words "Oldest Bank in Buffalo"

Bank plate small.jpg

The pendant is in two halves, front and back.

Pendant small.jpg

And of course, the best finds are a '35 & '44 Merc, an '07 V-nickel with a pierced ear, and my oldest Indian ever, and 1865 in nice shape.

Coins.jpg

Thanks for checking out my finds. It was a good day, and I hope you had one, too! HH all!!!

TYK!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, a nice day for sure. That IH is just spectacular. . . one of the
finest I've ever seen you dig. . . and the oldest as well :thumbsup:

You researched a wonderful site :wink:

I'm really looking forward to getting back out there again soon. . . :icon_pirat:

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
You're really racking 'em up Neil! :thumbsup: Looks like a great place to grid slow...
That '35 Merc looks like new and the '65 Indian looks like the twin of the one I found.
Congrats on a superb day of hunting!!!!!!

So.... How 'bout an Iced Mocha to the first to dig a '64??? :laughing7:

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Another great hunt, Neil! And that Indian beats my oldest one by at least 10 years. Awesome! Congrats on your oldest Indian.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!!!!

You are having a great year......You keep knocking'em dead on those great finds.....
Sorry I couldn't make it out... I had an appointment with the dentist....

Next time.....High Fives.......

What song were you hoping it would play???? ( I can't think of any funny ones to fit the moment )

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Geez, on fire, eh? Great going Neil!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Nice finds, Butter!

I'm calling you that because YOU'RE ON A ROLL!

What a beautiful IH and of course I know you love those gorgerous mercs. I hope there's older silver there. I'd think so, seeing that you found the early IH in such good shape. Congrats!

Joe

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
WOW ,Those are some cool finds,I love to dig around old home sites you never know what is going to pop out of the ground. Congrats on the silver. :thumbsup:

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON A GREAT OLD INDIAN AND SOME NICE MERCS, WTG!! :icon_king:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn fine hunt buddy!!!

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can find the chest of money that the "Oldest Bank in Buffalo" emblem was on, you'll be all set.

Does the scrolly pendant thing open up? If so it could possibly be a sachet kind of thing that the ladies may have put rose petals in.

Nice group of finds!

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Mayo South Elgin said:
Does the scrolly pendant thing open up? If so it could possibly be a sachet kind of thing that the ladies may have put rose petals in.

It's in 2 pieces, but I don't know if it was hinged at some point or just rotted open. I'd never heard of those sachet things. It might be one - good to know!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread