watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I left town on Friday to visit my daughter & granddaughter down in the Carolina's,
I managed to squeak in a two-hour hunt before our plane left that afternoon.
I was hoping for a few oldies but instead, found the largest stash of clad I have ever
found. . . $7.92 to be exact. I can only speculate a "woodland" dweller may have buried
it next to their sleeping bag. . . to keep it "safe" ::) It took about 30-minutes to dig all these
and as I was putting coin-after-coin in my pouch, I was hoping to see at least ONE silver,
but instead, only got ONE wheat. . . a 1951. . . oh well :P

DSC_0611.jpg

After getting back in town, Kimsdad gave me a call and asked if I wanted to hunt a new
site in the woods. After some A+ research on Neil's part, we were able to locate a nice
cellar hole that had remained pretty well hidden through the years. The rock boulders along
it's sides were caved in and there was broken glass and iron just about everywhere.

As I started to hunt along the foundation of where the back door may have been, I got
a nice signal and after brushing away some debris with my foot, there was a silver disk
that said "One Dime" staring me in the face. . . and I didn't even have to dig.

DSC_0703.jpg

About 15-minutes later, I heard Neil yell "Indian" and then after that, "V-Nickel" and then
"silver dime" (I'll tell you, this man is STILL on his roll from this weekend :notworthy: ).

As I worked my way to the north side of the site, I found a nice decorative stove piece,
part of a harmonica reed, a Listerine bottle plus, a couple of pocket knives.

Thanks for looking!

DSC_0699.JPG

DSC_0702.JPG

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Wow. Great hunts, Mark. Thats quite a cache of coins even if there wasn't a silver amongst them. And to top it off, you didn't even have to work for that dime!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Man, that surface dime was carrrazzzyyy!!! If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have seen it! :tard:

I'm glad you found that Barber! Looks like you got some other great relics, too.

It was a fun day, and as always, excellent photos!

WTG on the great hunt!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jez that is a purse spill and not a pocket spill....

I think my biggest one was right across the street at the park.. My oldest was maybe 7 and my other son maybe 4.
We were in the park and if I recall it was $ 6.29 in change in a 6 inch diameter area.... in 1995...

Great find on that dime.... She is a beauty....

Cool finger print on the knife....

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
DP BOB said:
Jez that is a purse spill and not a pocket spill....

I think my biggest one was right across the street at the park.. My oldest was maybe 7 and my other son maybe 4.
We were in the park and if I recall it was $ 6.29 in change in a 6 inch diameter area.... in 1995...

Great find on that dime.... She is a beauty....

Cool finger print on the knife....

Not a pocket or purse spill. We had to bug out in a hurry about 15 years ago from that spot while in the middle of a five-card game. In fact I was holding aces and eights. Did you find my grill near the sleeping bag? Hope the beans aren't overdone.

Sweet hunt!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
What a bunch of great finds Mark! With a Barber like that right on the surface, you know it's unlikely that area has ever been hit. Awesome job, buddy!

Joe

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON THE CLAD CACHE AND A GREAT BARBER DIME, WTG!!!

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
On that one pocket knife, first thing, it looks like a switchblade and secondly it looks like it was "fumed" (with heated superglue). Hence the possible thumbprint.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow buddy, that sure is a lot of clad!!!! Awesome job on that surface Barber, the shalowest silver I have ever found was a barber dime that was on the surface but just under some old moss. When I pulled it out it was straight black so I thought it was a clad till I rubbed it with my glove and was almost floored as it was my oldest silver at the time - 1905. :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Watercolr.....After digging like a Badger.....I am suprized to know you were still looking at the surface as much as your machine......Lots of work Paid Off Congrats/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread