Found on a rock in Colorado

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not believe there's a better man to ever walk the earth................well,........maybe just ONE, a couple of thousand years ago, but none in the 19th century or later. :laughing7:

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Shortstack,

You are correct. If not for KvM, the treasure hunting field would be all but gone. He inspired multiple generations of us.

Patrick

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Karl von Mueller and Deek Gladson were both pen names. He re-worked his wife's first and maiden names to come up with the "Deek Gladson" one. You'll also notice that most, if not ALL, of his books were copyrighted in his wife's name to insure she would have control of all of his materials should something happen to him. When some low-crawling piece of dog crap burned down his small office building at his place, most of his reference materials went up in smoke. I believe that the Valley of Secrets mine / cave / cache was the main project he was working on when his health failed. That's a big reason why he moved to Segundo, CO.

I got to actually meet the man only once, but I read everything he wrote, that I could get my hands on. I even bought a bunch of copies of that old mining journal he published years ago, from a treasure hunting shop in OKC about 16-18 years ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Shortstack,

That fire was horrible. He believed it was set to cover up a theft. I think that is what killed his spirit.

I was through Segundo this last weekend. There isn't much there anymore. The old store building he had is completely gone.

The last I heard, his wife was in a nursing home.

Fortunately for me, I inherited many TH books and have almost all that he published. There are some really obscure publications.

I looked up a few on Amazon and they were selling for hundreds of dollars. Its funny that the printed price on most of those sold for about $3 originally.

I even have a hardcover #7 with my father's best friend's name on the cover and an inscription from KvM and my father. It is pretty cool.

Patrick

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think KvM thought that one (or more) of his "friends" were behind the burning of his shed in order to stop him from revealing anymore information. He got some threats when he released Waybills to El Dorado. And, yes, it seemed that his health started going down right after the arson on his building.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread