Found on the beach. Is it gold?

kpeterk

Jul 6, 2008
I found this at Daytona Beach Shores yesterday with my Whites PI. Didn't think much of it but put it in my pocket. After leaving, I gave it a closer look. Seems like it could be gold but I'm not sure. It is not magnetic, and not rusty. I thought it may be pyrite and heard that if you hit pyrite with a hammer, it will shatter. Well, after hitting it with a hammer, it doesn't shatter but bends. Weighs 1/3 ounce. What do you guys think?

gold1.JPG

gold2.JPG

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have a piece of natural copper, neat find! HH, Mike

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Do not think it is copper it would be green. and you do not find copper at Daytona unless some one carried it and dropped it there.
Could be copper but most of the time it turns green. sounds to heavy for copper too.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
This might sound a little off the wall, but no more than finding a chunk of gold or copper on Daytona Beach. I can't tell for sure from the pictures, and seeing that Daytona doesn't have natural gold or copper, I believe this piece may have have been washed into shore from a sunken ship that was carrying raw ore. This is about the only explanation I could come up with.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net and the Capt made a good observation. It may be from a wreck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread