Found possible cache in a rock

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I saw this huge rock that I never paid attention to before, I live in the country on a farm type field with like 20 acres. I went up to it and it had a few bushes growing all around the rock in a circle (the bushes were cut down sometime in the last few years, but the stumps are still there) there isn't other bushes around. Only in a circle around this rock.

So my detector goes crazy and says there is a few coins down there. So I dig and dig, and I pull out an old rock that is almost a perfect circle, I am talking like a balloon shape. On both ends it looks drilled or something. But my detector did not beep with it.

So I dig more and more and am at about 10 inches deep and I pull out another rock and throw it to the side, and I check the hole and its gone... nothing around. So I thought i'd scan everything. When I put it over the rock I threw out it beeped crazy with coins signals.

It is a rectangle rock, long and kind of skinny, and it appears to have man-made cuts in it. It looks like it was sawed off and put back together with something. There is like 3 areas on it that looks man-made. I thought it might be an old handmade brick since alot of them are around here, but it doesn't really look like one, looks more like a rock.

I am going to use a camcorder and record me breaking it up incase it is some kind of crazy hidden cashe.

What do you all think it might be?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I hope I didn't disappoint anyone, I feel bad about it. I really thought I had something good. I will post pictures of the shards tomorrow.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
relichunters said:
I hope I didn't disappoint anyone, I feel bad about it. I really thought I had something good. I will post pictures of the shards tomorrow.

I only feel bad you didn't get any gold in there, I was hopeing for ya. :thumbsup:

It was a great post :thumbsup:

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
relichunters said:

It was fun, it is the unknown that keeps us all going. Through the joking we were pulling for you big time. We knew the odds were against it, but every once in a while someone beats the odds, and it could have been you this time. It was neat to have a find that wasn't checked out yet and feel the suspense with you, thanks for the post...Ryan

S

Scots Gaelic

relichunters said:
there was sparking powder it was whitish color.

Busted some more open and it appeared to be some kind of iron inside, appeared melted, and it's odd color sparkles like a white/gray/light blue.

Yeah, Hmmm! I believe I would be getting that chemically powder tested.........

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relichunters said:
Sorry for the long delay my MDing friends came over and then it stormed for a bit.

Busted some more open and it appeared to be some kind of iron inside, appeared melted, and it's odd color sparkles like a white/gray/light blue. After open the detector only beeps on one piece of it, which has a long thick line of a rusted iron type color.

I Knew IT!!!!!!! Prehistoric mail box!!!! The white/grey is deteriated paper. And we all know Cavemen/Dinosaurs only wrote in blue ink.......(they didnt invent black until 6 million years later.....)

K

Kentucky Kache

You didn't find a cache of gold coins, but you DID find something out of the ordinary, and I think it would be worth checking out. What is it, and why is it in a rock that was cut and sealed up?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was cool. I am in upstate NY I find a lot of natural rock that set off my machine. I just think they are just hot rocks and leave them alone. Now get out there and find a real cache!

Keep @ it and HH!!

fldaphne

May 27, 2008
Gulfcoast of Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Beach Hunter ID

You are EVERYMAN! The excitement that you and the readers had was great. Loved seeing it and it certainly shows what this is all about. The rise and fall of treasure hunting. Get 'em next time.

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Copperhead said:
A little entertainment while you wait....

[youtube=425,350]eQd6d9h0DiA[/youtube]

I love this video!!!!!!!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What was the shape of the inside cavity? Could it have been a hand made mold for an axe head or wedge? Pour the melted iron into the mold then pull it out once it cools and sharpen it up. Just a complete guess...not even sure that would work. The rock might split from the heat of the metal.

Cool find...

NJ

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
No dissapointments here...anticipation is one of the highlights of this hobby for me...that was a cool find,,maybe the next one will be the cache you've been waiting for

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread