Found.....Proactive approach to Coin Marking.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Well after all the posting about coin marking I was inspired to start this thread.

My logic is that if we post what we find (marked coins) than the people who marked them will see where they went. Therefor eliminating their need to mark them anymore, hell I'd like to know.

My personal feeling is that they really don't go that far and some marks are pretty simple that I'm sure the marks are duplicated and if you ever got them back would you really know if it's your tag or someone Else's?
Take the prolific black dot tag. Not very creative at all. very simple but has to be common. do I think that only one guy out there puts a black dot on the coins?.......I think not.

In my area I see black dots in just about every box I get and in hand rolls as well. The carriers in my area (Loomis and Brinks) are both located in Detroit. They serve an area that has a population of over 4 million people and I would venture to guess well over 2000 banks.
I believe all the coins circulating through this area pass through those two facility's & they are literally within 5 miles of each other. The next closest Brinks is 60 miles West in Lansing, and Loomis has another facility in Flint 40 miles North.
So I got to believe I'm seeing the same coins over and over again. with the exception of recent deposits by unknowing individuals who are depositing that small accumulation that grandpa left behind upon his recent departure or some one who doesn't care.

So as I searched my 2 Skunk boxes today and seeing the black dot's once again I thought why not give the coin makers what they are looking for. A means to an end.

None of the coins that I searched today, that had marks, were of any real value. I did manage to find a 1987D and 2-2007P's in these 2 boxes. They are not MS anything nor were they marked, but I will keep them anyway.

I found about 50 coins marked with the Black dot. (2.5%) And 3 with writing. Also found about a dozen that the processing center applied. IE circular scratches. Pictured below.

Again, in theory, this might help stem the tide of coin marking.

CRH Mojo

Attachments

• bd.gif
    bd.gif
    102.1 KB · Views: 426
  • nubers.gif
    nubers.gif
    107.1 KB · Views: 436
  • scratches.gif
    scratches.gif
    47.2 KB · Views: 425
Upvote 0

seattleMD

Dec 31, 2007
Re: Proactive approach to Coin Marking.

What causes those circular scratches - I notice that a lot.

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

seattleMD said:
What causes those circular scratches - I notice that a lot.

I believe it's the wrapper when it folds the paper over on the shotgun shell type rolls.

Mojo

soldierman

May 18, 2006

the rolling machine often scratches the coin on the end of the roll

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course

WooHoo, another coin marking thread. Just what the doctor ordered. Lets see how long it takes this one to go south :wink:
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

Silver_Fox said:
WooHoo, another coin marking thread. Just what the doctor ordered. Lets see how long it takes this one to go south :wink:
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:

I think it just did S_F :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

jim4silver said:
Regarding the circular scratches on coins, I saw this article on the net. Here is the link

http://www.pelflucre.com/JFK-damage.htm

Good article. It points out that in years to come almost all the coins (if circulating and recirculating) will sustain some form of damage from the rolling machine. Point being no amount of sharpie marking will damage a coin the way a machine does.

The more CRH's buy, search and redump to be reprocessed. It will be just a matter of time before all the coins will get damaged. with the volume being searched daily by CRH's it will only escalate that damage.

So if your worried about marks on coins I suggest you call the processors (Brinks,Loomis etc.) and let them know how you feel about the damage their machines are causing.

Enough about scratches. Lets get back to the question at hand.
Who's marking the coins and what part of the country are they operating?
Lets see the marked coins your getting.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro

Does anyone here mark there coin c with the initials PS. i have been gettin gslot of those in my boxes.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loomis is in Flint, Eh? I have in the past gotten a box or two with Flint written on it.

Okay, I do not have any pictures as I have already dumped the marked coins, but what I have seen lately are the black dot coins. Most times when they are in a box it is less then a dozen specimens. But not all of my boxes have marked coins. Last weeks boxes were dated March '08. One box had some black dots, the other had none.

I do have a new mark I have seen, lets see this would have been two weeks ago in a box also dated March '08 from Loomis. These were Redneck halves - What I mean is that someone every carefully drew a red felt marker line across the bottom of JFK's neck. This box I think only had four of them. I chuckled when I saw them and then wondered what JD would think if he had gotten one of them.

The strangest marked coin I have is where someone wrote "Hi" and put their name on it. I still have that one and will post a picture if I can find it tonight.

When you think of all of the halves that are out there I can see why so few of them show up as being marked in the same box.

I have not posted my finds lately as I figure it is not worth reporting the few 40%'s I have found. Total 40's for the last four boxes I have searched is five, five total, not five per box. Up until Christmas if I only got six in one box I would consider that a bad box. Now it is one to two and then they are 40's.

Funny thing is last weeks box had an extra coin, and it was an Anthony dollar. I an now 25 cents ahead - one time last year I got a plastic token in place of a half, lost 50 cents there, another time a roll had a quarter instead of a half, lost 25 cents there. Now I have a roll with an extra dollar coin in it. What comes around goes around I guess.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Who cares?

Apparently some folks do......

I must be an offender..... a violator..... I unwrap and toss the rejects into a bucket. Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding....... to the sound of thousands of coins......

And I also strike a red sharpie through "WE TRUST" on every '74D I put under the loupe.

Get over it.

I'm only in this for the silver..... :icon_pirat:

Robin

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta

Have not seen the red stump Kennedy down here in Ga yet, but I think the original "Red neck Kennedy" started down here with what looks to be a red sharpie along the back of the neck. And Cap, I have not seen any of your 74d with the red sharpie through the we trust. However, I appreciate you letting me know so I can save a little bit of eyeball on them. I see mostly some large green or black magic marker type strikes across Kennedy's mug (I think these are from Patrick Earl Houston). Some purple dots and some other various marks. I think back to the 80's and recall seeing marked half's then, so this marking stuff is no new phenomena. HH, Gpurs...
Oh, by the way, I noticed that the red neck Kennedy's all seem to have been pretty well checked for errors......

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro

I have gotten those red neck JFK's here before. ANd X at his mouth and L written at his nose. Someone must be taking it at heart about marking because now I am finding a piece of tap on the coins.

HH
Cat

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta

Hey Cat, have you seen the Michigan version of red stump kennedy, or the Georgia version of the red neck kennedy? Michigan has red at base of neck, Ga has red on the neck..

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used

Well I did get 2,000 out of GA and about 5,000 from Columbus. But I would say GA.

HH
Cat

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta

Thanks, I was just trying to get an idea which way some of these things were moving. From the looks of things, you are probably better off getting boxes from somewhere other than Atlanta at this point in time.. HH, Gpurs...

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used

Yep my Atlanta money was Skunks.

Cat

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero

CaptainRobin said:
Who cares?

Apparently some folks do......

I must be an offender..... a violator..... I unwrap and toss the rejects into a bucket. Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding....... to the sound of thousands of coins......

And I also strike a red sharpie through "WE TRUST" on every '74D I put under the loupe.

Get over it.

I'm only in this for the silver..... :icon_pirat:

Robin

Had a '73 with a black sharpie thru it today (we trust).

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Alright, Devl,

I admit.... 'bout two years ago I did some "WE TRUST" on 74Ds with black.....

Dunno if'n it's mine, though.

Robin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread