Found.....Proactive approach to Coin Marking.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Well after all the posting about coin marking I was inspired to start this thread.

My logic is that if we post what we find (marked coins) than the people who marked them will see where they went. Therefor eliminating their need to mark them anymore, hell I'd like to know.

My personal feeling is that they really don't go that far and some marks are pretty simple that I'm sure the marks are duplicated and if you ever got them back would you really know if it's your tag or someone Else's?
Take the prolific black dot tag. Not very creative at all. very simple but has to be common. do I think that only one guy out there puts a black dot on the coins?.......I think not.

In my area I see black dots in just about every box I get and in hand rolls as well. The carriers in my area (Loomis and Brinks) are both located in Detroit. They serve an area that has a population of over 4 million people and I would venture to guess well over 2000 banks.
I believe all the coins circulating through this area pass through those two facility's & they are literally within 5 miles of each other. The next closest Brinks is 60 miles West in Lansing, and Loomis has another facility in Flint 40 miles North.
So I got to believe I'm seeing the same coins over and over again. with the exception of recent deposits by unknowing individuals who are depositing that small accumulation that grandpa left behind upon his recent departure or some one who doesn't care.

So as I searched my 2 Skunk boxes today and seeing the black dot's once again I thought why not give the coin makers what they are looking for. A means to an end.

None of the coins that I searched today, that had marks, were of any real value. I did manage to find a 1987D and 2-2007P's in these 2 boxes. They are not MS anything nor were they marked, but I will keep them anyway.

I found about 50 coins marked with the Black dot. (2.5%) And 3 with writing. Also found about a dozen that the processing center applied. IE circular scratches. Pictured below.

Again, in theory, this might help stem the tide of coin marking.

CRH Mojo

Attachments

• bd.gif
    bd.gif
    102.1 KB · Views: 427
  • nubers.gif
    nubers.gif
    107.1 KB · Views: 437
  • scratches.gif
    scratches.gif
    47.2 KB · Views: 426
Upvote 0
OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Re: Proactive approach to Coin Marking.

Scott (Mich) said:
I do have a new mark I have seen, lets see this would have been two weeks ago in a box also dated March '08 from Loomis. These were Redneck halves - What I mean is that someone every carefully drew a red felt marker line across the bottom of JFK's neck. This box I think only had four of them.
Scott (MI)

Yea I'v seen them on a couple of P.E.Houstons posts.

Mojo

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

CaptainRobin said:
I also strike a red sharpie through "WE TRUST" on every '74D I put under the loupe.
I'm only in this for the silver..... :icon_pirat:
Robin

Thanks for saving me time.

Mojo

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

What's up with the 74 D? Should I be looking for something there?

Jim

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

jim4silver said:
What's up with the 74 D? Should I be looking for something there?

Jim

Double die error on the "IN GOD WE TRUST

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread