Found Ring Update

M

mchamby

(Jostens contacted me and said they were unable to help with just a description of the ring to go by. They would need the school. Some of the letters are raised a little but most are smooth because of laying face first in the sand for years. ) Does anyone have any other suggest?

Oh my gosh its not raining I have to go out even if I don't feel up to it. As most of you have seen on some of my postings I have health problems, well they are< how do I say this, life terminal just don't know from day to day depends on wheather I catch a bad cold or not. That being said I'm not looking for any sympathy just understanding. I went to the private RV park beach I have talked about, they close Saturday and I hadn't detected the sod area at all and I really wanted to before they close. I detected about 2 hours and needed to get a full oxygen tank out of my car so I walked to the Jeep and started changing the tank. I look down at the ground and here in 3 pennies and a dime, If my? mother were with me she would have told me it was bad luck 13 cents but I see it as money in my pouch and good luck I found it. I have my new tank and back I go. I'm have a good time I'm outside , its not raining and I'm finding a little clad. I'm disappointed though I'm not finding jewelry after about another hour I'm starting to have some difficulty so I decide I've had all I can stand and head to the Jeep. I get a good signal that reads it should be a dollar coin so for that I can sit on my bucket one more time and bend over and dig. Ya hooo its silver,,,, it's a ring. The one thing I really want to accomplish while metal detecting is to find something to return to someone, I can't explain why it is so important but anyway this might be my one and only chance so I need help from you that have returned something. As you know I don't have a scanner so I will discribe what I can. The stone looks to be aqua marine. The name of the school around the stone is worn down too far to make out letters. The year looks to be 1978. On oneside? of the ring looks to be a rocket and a planet (to it's left)? (Jupiter I think because of the ring around it and to its right two 4 pointed stars. Underneith this is a normal looking star. On the opposite side of the ring is a peace sign maybe in the shap of a flag and underneith this is another regular star. Inside it says Ster Jostens with a little c in a circle all so the initials BGC I think, the last one, the bottom of the initial is worn away. Please give me direction so I don't burst my bubble, I was so excited to find this. ???
Maria? ? I'm guess it is a womans ring it fits my finger. I also found 3 dollars clad

Upvote 0
F

FiveFoote

Re: Found Ring NEED HELP

I'm a newbie but I know how to move you along. You have found a Sterling Silver class ring made by Josten's. They are one of the big producers of class rings in the U.S. Google Josten's and you should be able to get an e-mail or phone number where you can contact them and describe the ring and they may be able to point you to the right school district. It is pretty far back but perhaps they still have records of the names of people that purchased the rings for that class and could help you match up the initials.

Good luck.

FiveFoote

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Ive had luck in the past returning a class ring. Call the local schools (high schools) tell them you found a 1978 class ring and tell them the initials on the ring. They can usually find the person through a yearbook and give you thier last known address.If not you should still have a name to go by.I found a ring here in L.I. and the person since then moved to s.dakota. Good luck on your search for the owner.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?13 cents seemed to be good luck for you!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Congrats on the ring M. You will have to do a little homework here now. I think FiveFoote has the right idea. Good luck. Let us know...Lance

OP
OP
M

mchamby

Thanks everyone, I have an email in to Jostens but it sure would help if I could read the school name. :'(
Mchamby

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JUST Thought I'd Say Congrats & "Saturn" Is the Planet With Rings

Jeff

OP
OP
M

mchamby

thanks Jeff you are absolutely right its Saturn, my brain is a little mishmashed these days, I wasn't too far off just a few planets. Ha ;)
Mchamby

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

YEP you Were 1 Planet TOO CLOSE to US,

You Needed To Travel a Little Fruther Out ;D