Found some old Japanese Yen among a WWII veteran's stash (I had permission)

BABALONGOGGLES

Jan 10, 2020
Eastern WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I was given the opportunity to go through a hoarder's house after they passed away. It wasn't too terrible, as far as hoarding goes, but among the accumulated garbage I found a shoe box with some mementos from the war. Among them are what I can only identify as Japanese Yen, presumably from before 1944, plus one 1943S steel penny. There are a bunch of different ones, but I can't figure out how to value them because I can't read the writing. I don't see any identifying marks on the two brass(?) coins, and the other one with a hole in the center is the only one that feels heavier than the tin/steel/aluminum(?) ones. Its luster is a bit more pronounced as well. Any help with ID or value is appreciated.

IMG_2082.JPG

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Our TN foreign experts will assist for sure on these, however, take a pic of the reverse side of these coins so they can determine other info. Congrats on your WWII findings, or earlier by chance.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The copper/brass things look more like washers. No characters on them at all and a small circular incision around the center from a screw head.

The others definitely look more modern.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope they have some value

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds and welcome aboard :skullflag:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the aluminum ones are war years (1941-43) 10, 5 and 1 sen coins. The one with the hole is 5 sen from 1933-38.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread