Found Something I Really Wanted This Year... SLQ

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
The boss says to me yesterday, we’re going to work four hours and we go home, come at your usual time (10am) because I need someone to stay later……I say to her, how about I come in at two and stay till 6? She’s delighted that the department has coverage and I am happy I get to detect all morning! Spoke to Joe G and LI TOM about where I was going and where I would be. This is a park me and Tom hit really hard and we found ourselves some silver, tokens and even a buff. The last time we were there, the signals were far and in between, but the moisture in the ground after a day or two of rain here had the explorer picking up a crap load of signals. It started out good, as I was getting signals in places where we had already been and some of the coins were wheat pennies.

This went on and on from the time I got there (8:30am) until I was down to about my last 45 minutes before I had to leave. Every other wheat at that point became a “Damnit” as they do sound good on the Explorer. I can actually say I was working carefully and digging even the iffiest signals, and I kept thinking to myself, where is my reward today? With little time left, I purposefully selected one short strip that produced a Rosie on my first run in that park with the Explorer. I had what appeared to be a decent quarter signal, not perfect and not in all directions. I dug and saw a big shiny thing in the dirt before I even had it out and thought to myself, very nice, a Washington Quarter. Only when I looked at it (It made an obverse appearance in my hand) did I realize what I had. Almost made my eyes tear to see it in my hand. This is a coin that I really wanted to find. Pardon the bad cropping of the photos. Unlike most times, I wasn’t prepared to post. As opposed to connecting the camera directly to the computer or inserting the stick to my PSP and transferring from there, I instead ran to a Kiosk, printed out the photos and scanned them here at work.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 811
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 811
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 809
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 813
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 812
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 813
Upvote 0

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Great job and a beautiful coin Ricardo!
Remember my first SLQ....got a little choked up myself.

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
Nice Find Ricardo!!!

Gotta love a SLQ that you can read and the good ol explorer will certainly find it :)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
One of the most beautiful coins in my opinion, great find Ricardo, congrats!!
So cool that it has a date visible and is in good shape.

Hope there will be many more for you in the future!

:)

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Nice find Ricardo, I've been so busy at work I only have time to hit a local park that has been producing. I've only found about 4 SLQ's, they are hard to find.
Forgive me my brother
CC

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i found my first ones this summer so i know how stoked you were! its always a great find, but especially when they have a date! congrats!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going Ricardo! I am still waiting for my first. I have found Barber Quarters, but no SLQ's!!! Those were tough times in this country. People were really cautious with their money!

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DUDE!!! An SLQ with a readable date??? Awesome! I'm surprised you didn't call me :D OK, I'll skip the beach and we'll dig dirt Friday. Check your email.

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Very nice find. I've only found two myself, and only one had a good readable date. Yours looks fantastic. WTG, and good perserverance on your part.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Fantastic find!I know how much you wanted one.That's 2 out of 3 goals down and the last almost finished.The last time we pounded that park all day ,we got skunked.You just never can tell one a great find will pop up ,even in a pounded spot.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A BIG WooHoo to you Ricardo.
What an accomplishment and what a thrill to find a coin you have been desiring for a while.
That coin is still on my list to find also.
Way to follow your instincts. See what you get for volunteering to work later.
REWARD time does finally meet up with us all sooner or later.
HH
Rob

P.S. Your pics are just fine!

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Very good find,glad it made your day!!!! I have yet to find one this year. WTG Hope you get another one soon.

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Ricardo,

Excellent find. I've followed your posts for quite a while, and I know that you're a hard-working MD'er who hunts ethically and isn't afraid to put in the time to truly learn their machine. Congrats on an outstanding find.

MP

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Can I just tell you how much I HATE you ??? ::) ;) :D ;D ;D :D

Man you have done really great lately. I am glad for you! I was going to post my finds from the other night but before I could get home I got pulled over and ticketed for transporting sewage I mean trash without a license. ;D :D :)

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now that's what i'm talkind about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats

vp

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Great coin, Great find, Ricardo. :o
I know you will never forget that dig. And your first one has a date on it too...Awesome!

So what's your next coin on your wish list?

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread