🥇 BANNER Found...The Holy Grail!...on the second try

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jmastny78 and I headed back out to the old honey hole. The tear-out is progressing towards downtown. We spent a while exploring new territory with little luck. "If you can't find them where you are...go back to where you found them before...you're bound to have missed something." So I told Jer I was headed back to the church. I had gridded this patch of ground twice in the last two nights. We had found some older coins over the last two nights but I noticed we weren't finding any of the oddball coins (trimes, flying eagles, half-dimes, or any of those coins that seemed to circulate after the large cents). So I decided I was just going to dig everything.

Came across a signal in the foil range. The dirt had already been disturbed around the signal so it was obvious that the signal had been dug by someone previously. Yes, that someone would be me the night before. Obviously I gave up on the target figuring it wasn't worth my while. Well it was giving a signal between 42-46 on the ATPro. Same signal I got earlier this year when I dug up a three cent nickel. Poked around in the dirt a bit. Ah, a piece of foil. "Man that's a shiny piece of foil". Flipped it over and rubbed the dirt off of it.:BangHead: OH...MY...GOD! I recognize that bust!

080515GDF.jpg

$1 Gold Coin, Indian Princess Head, Small Head Variety(let me know if you disagree)...minted 1854-1856.:headbang::headbang::headbang: Unfortunately, or more interestingly, depending on your vantage point...it had been modified into a love token.

080515GDB.jpg

I raised my hands in victory as I walked towards Jmastny to show him. ...and received the "What did that ******* find now?" look.

I realize this has been modified into a love token and was probably worn around someone's neck for a number of years...but someone please assure me that I can now claim to be a member of the gold coin club...a membership I have aspired to for the last 20+ years. A lofty goal, if you're hunting in Michigan (and probably a number of other places).

080515Finds.jpg

Today's digs...

Love token crafted from a $1 Gold Coin (1854-1856)
1898 Barber dime
(2) Wheatbacks 1911, 1939

Upvote 74
OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everybody for the support and the banner votes. I got on this site about a year and a half ago to keep myself motivated, as there can be some significant dry spells in the detecting hobby. Always admired the great finds that you folks were making. Don't know that I ever expected that I would find something banner worthy. It's definitely one of highlights of my detecting career. I'll probably be riding the high for a while. Thanks again!

PBS

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on making the Banner! No brainer that it deserved a trip across the top.:occasion14:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where we all of you and your votes a few years ago when I found my $2.5 gold love token!!??

Very cool find - I still look at mine about every other day!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most excellent find sir. Congratulations on a well-deserved banner.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice indeed! Congrats

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice find, yet pretty small. I'll give you 7 times face. That's $7!! pm me

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a few 1800s spots that id KNow hold a few of those but I usually never dig 42 but I guess I'm going to start digging them. Great find man ur killin it this year!

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, but, if it was an 1855D in VF/XF condition, I'd rather it was a coin instead of a pendant. I'd take it either way though!! :hello2:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a single guy (currently !) I can say with out a doubt that I would rig that up with a robust high Karat gold jump ring and sturdy
gold chain , and wear that little beauty - it's small enough to not be too ostentatious -(nobody's gonna think you're light in the loafers)

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a single guy (currently !) I can say with out a doubt that I would rig that up with a robust high Karat gold jump ring and sturdy
gold chain , and wear that little beauty - it's small enough to not be too ostentatious -(nobody's gonna think you're light in the loafers)

Actually, I like that idea. And why not set up the "incident" that will allow some lucky sucker to find a gold coin years down the road?

PBS

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding the "goldie" and a nice love token it is! Pays to dig EVERY SIGNAL no matter how lousy they seem....

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doubt I will ever find anything that banner worthy out here again ! Big congrats Plz :occasion14: I have barely been getting out lately since the heat has taken over here.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an incredible find,,, congrats on entry into the "Holy Grail Club"
I don't know how many times a coin turned into a pendant or ring or bracelet has been lost and found.
The point is that it is still basically a coin.
I have seen silver love tokens made from seated dimes but this is the first Gold Love Token that I have heard of.
You did good:notworthy:

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is definitely a celebratory find; especially here in Michigan. I am in Kalamazoo, how far are you from me?

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW.

Beautiful gold, sweet silver and congrats on making the banner.
What a hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread