Found the outhouse in my backyard

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
You like?
About 50 feet from the back porch on a slight slope. The depression has been there for as long as I can remember. I decided to see what it was and when I removed the debris/grass I was left with a square pit about 4 inches deep. It is absolutely a squared depression no doubt. I am going to presume from its proximity to the house, ease of access to the back door and the fact its square to indicate I have in fact located an outhouse.
depression1.jpg

depression2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I have also located at least three trash pits. Folks back in the country would dig a hole and dump their refuse in it. Then burn it or bury it. My grandmother was burning 100% of her trash as late as 2007 in a pit in her yard. I know she did this because I did it with her and she learned it from her father. I am wondering whats in the pits but they seem dangerous to dig. There are dozens of Clorox jugs out there. I have read that outhouses are common places to find bottles and small items and coins lost during it's use. I shoved a steel rod I have down in it and it sank about 3 feet before it stopped. Slipped in real easy so...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how old is the farmhouse, GL? If it is 1800s, it'd be worth a shot. 1920's or later, and it's a lot of work for very little chance at some goodies. Mid 1800s it's a no-brainer. Ask someone if they remember the outhouse before you dig it. If they don't remember it at all, then that might be a better one to dig. And yes--someone mentioned not to dig alone. Absolutely right, for privy digging--in case of cave-ins, difficulty of removing dirt, and numerous other potential problems and hazards.

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
This house is 107 at the least and as much as 113yrs old. Unknown age because the only surviving person who would know was born after the house was built. It has reciepts above the windows from 1928 when they were installed. They are replacements. My grandmother was born in the house in 1916...it obviously had windows then but were probably handmade and not counterbalanced. These came from Chicago...
Her oldest brother was born in 1800 something(unsure without checking the Bible). It is listed on the deed as 1903 but I would think it is probably 10yrs older at least from what my grandmother told me all but one of the siblings was born in the house and she was the middle child of 11. I have a photograph of them all together taken in the early 50s before the old man passed away at 98yrs. He was born outside of Knoxville, TN. I have picture of him and his father taken in Knoxville and he appears to be around 12.

The land behind mine was owned previously by another man whose cabin is still standing in the very back. It was added on and built onto until the original structure is fairly buried and invisible. That house is deeded as 1934 but it is so much older than that. Probably mid 1800s. His cabins trail/path is now his grand daughter(my great uncles wife)s driveway and cuts through my land. I believe this property has been farmed and occupied by my kin for well over a century and a half.

This property and house is quite literally my family treasure. 100% of the artifacts found here once belonged to my ancestors. I am extremely interested in it all.

planejet42

Jan 5, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig that baby up!!!!!!! Let me know what you find!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions