Found the outhouse in my backyard

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
You like?
About 50 feet from the back porch on a slight slope. The depression has been there for as long as I can remember. I decided to see what it was and when I removed the debris/grass I was left with a square pit about 4 inches deep. It is absolutely a squared depression no doubt. I am going to presume from its proximity to the house, ease of access to the back door and the fact its square to indicate I have in fact located an outhouse.
depression1.jpg

depression2.jpg

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when are you planning on digging it up.....Matt

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Dig it and find out.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dig down a little and see if you can find some brick/fragments or different color soil. Square? Not sure . Still may be. Can you see any remanants of a sidewalk leading out? I have found quite a few by finding the remaining sidewalk

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
There is no sidewalk. This was a rural farmhouse even by this counties standards. There is a weird outline in brick down at the cabin just under the dirt. The wife says thats where I should detect but I keep seeing all these neat bottles...
My grandmother said they filled in a well or two with bottles here and on her property.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only the real wealthy could afford a "2" seater back in the day.... :laughing7:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
50 feet from the back door......Get your butt back there and dig....right now....please, pretty please..... :tongue3: I would say that is what it is. Most of the county homesteads around here have square cement lined outhouses. Hopefully you wont run into the problems of early spring and that is water! These tend to be full of moisture as you go deeper. If thats the case you can either wait it out(not me) or get a pump and pump it out as you go. Goodluck and be careful, never dig alone! jgas

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dig it, get a couple of tarps where you can lay the fill dirt to keep it easier to fill back in and less mess. If you discover it is a privy you might want to build a table sifter as i call it out of 2x4's and small square wire where you can throw the dirt through it to catch any small items that might be collectable. you probably won't start finding much except the fill dirt for at least 3ft. You may want to have some small gardening tools that you can use like a scratcher to remove the dirt around the possible bottles and such to keep from breaking them.

I plan on digging and filming my privy sites as soon it ever dries up around here. I have high hopes as my Yard here in the historical district of the city was used as part of a Civil War Camp and a Union Hospital was next door.

Hopefully We both can make some Very Nice recoveries,

Nova Treasure

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the grass was supposed to be greener there. :laughing7:

I knew a guy who spent lots of time looking for those as we lived in a historicly 'dry town'. He said 15 steps out the back door so you're in the neighborhood. He also used a stainless steel 'T' probe about 4' long with a blunt tip to probe before digging so as to not scratch or break bottles.

Good Luck.

Peeber

Mar 18, 2009
Indiana
Be sure your shots are all up to date. I have read some accounts that say the leavings can be pretty fresh after years and years.
I expect you will know if this is the case before you get too deep. As they say,"the nose knows".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread