Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was driving through an area out on the island when I saw a bunch of guys working around a pile of rubble that used to be a house. There was a big dumpster in front so I decided to investigate. I stopped the truck and looked in the big dumpster. There was nothing but wood and bricks in there and some branches. One of the demo guys asked me what I was looking for and I said I was interested in anything historic or old, I explained that I was a historian and loved finding and saving old things from the garbage. The guy liked what I said and told me that there was an old barn in the backyard that they had knocked down earlier and there had been 'alot of old junk in there'. I asked if I could go check it out and he said I could although there probably wasn't much left.

So I went and looked around the area where the barn once was, now nothing but a few pieces of wood here and there, a broken off leg of a Chippendale chair, brick pieces, then as I was almost ready to give up on finding anything I saw a huge anvil sitting by itself next to a pile of wood. I had never found an anvil before so I did not yet know the significance of what I was looking at, but I figured if anything I could use an anvil for something as I am always tinkering with things. I asked the worker if I could take the anvil and he said I could so I got a hand truck and brought it to the truck and tossed it in.

At home I looked online and was astonished at how insanely expensive these giant old anvils cost, I still cannot believe it! As far as I can tell this is an old English-imported anvil, I can tell because it has three numbers stamped on it near the base: '1 - 1 - 17'. I originally thought these numbers were a date stamp, but they're not, they actually represent the anvil's weight in the archaic English Hundredweight System. The stamp '1 - 1 - 17' translates to 157lbs. or 71kgs. - the weight of the anvil. I do not know what brand of anvil this is yet, but it may be an Attwood based on the shape of the base and my preliminary research into this exciting new world of anvil history, if I clean the side a bit I can probably make out more detail and possibly make out the maker's stamp if it's there at all. This anvil is likely 100-150 years old and is worth way more than I expected. Now I know to keep an extra sharp eye out for anvils in the future!

Some perspective:
20170926_130437.jpg 20170926_130310.jpg

20170926_130355.jpg

You can just barely make out the weight stamp '1-1-17', there may also be a maker's stamp above this but I will need to clean it more to tell for sure:
20170926_130401.jpg

Upvote 40

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anvils are made of cast steel. Nice find!

Curiously, no, not all. More modern-ish anvils are.

Older ones are often a low carbon steel with a high carbon steel plate welded on top, hardened.
We're talking 1800's-ish here, when blacksmithing took a industrial scale with lot's of unskilled laborers.

Before that there were anvils made completely of mild steel, to. I have and use an oldish anvil myself.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most the older anvils in the US were donated to the scrap metal drives of WWII since the village blacksmith had been replaced by automotive mechanics and electric welders. So anvils and blacksmith tools were viewed as outdated technology and got thrown out as scrap steel to build weapons for the war, making them that much scarcer today. Nice find!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome!
Good thing you had the hand truck with ya.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And the oldest anvils were made out of meteorites. As were some swords. The rarest of the rare.

Curiously, no, not all. More modern-ish anvils are.

Older ones are often a low carbon steel with a high carbon steel plate welded on top, hardened.
We're talking 1800's-ish here, when blacksmithing took a industrial scale with lot's of unskilled laborers.

Before that there were anvils made completely of mild steel, to. I have and use an oldish anvil myself.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Underminer, you always find the coolest stuff! You are the king of salvage.

This is a wonderful object and already a great thread.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great score on the anvil, they go for $3-4 a pound depending on the condition and the maker. Having a few side chips out of the face edge is a bit of a hit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread