Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was going thru my trash after emptying out my pouch and noticed a crumpled piece of metal. I wiped the dried mud off of it and saw that it looked like it had stamped writing on it. Then I could see the notch at one end as I opened it up. it has a name...
Michael S. Stager
35765611 T43 O My understanding is that the T43 would signify Tetanus shot in 1943.
The O meant blood type. The notch was the common notch for placing the tag inside mouth to hold mouth open. I am confused because there is no other information such as an address etc. it was found within a hundred yards of two other men's dog tags plus lot so WWII finds. So if this is an actual GI tag, why not all of the info? I am pretty stoked at finding this, pretty cool in my eyes. DL

Attachments

• 20180306_191528.jpg
    20180306_191528.jpg
    954.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20180306_191607.jpg
    20180306_191607.jpg
    904 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 10

Digginutah

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mid 1943-1946 the tags only included name, serial number, blood type, and religion. The first digit shows that he was drafted. The second digit says it was from Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, or West Virginia. I think the religion code is in the spot where the tag is damaged. I've heard that the indent was there to make sure the tag was correctly placed in the press instead of to hold the mouth open (although it may have been used for that purpose).

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mid 1943-1946 the tags only included name, serial number, blood type, and religion. The first digit shows that he was drafted. The second digit says it was from Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, or West Virginia. I think the religion code is in the spot where the tag is damaged. I've heard that the indent was there to make sure the tag was correctly placed in the press instead of to hold the mouth open (although it may have been used for that purpose).

thank you very much for the info, makes more sense now. don't know about a possible return at this point

Engineer in MD

Jan 6, 2011
Berlin/Ocean City, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites Eagle II SL, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going thru my trash after emptying out my pouch and noticed a crumpled piece of metal. I wiped the dried mud off of it and saw that it looked like it had stamped writing on it. Then I could see the notch at one end as I opened it up. it has a name...
Michael S. Stager
35765611 T43 O My understanding is that the T43 would signify Tetanus shot in 1943.
The O meant blood type. The notch was the common notch for placing the tag inside mouth to hold mouth open. I am confused because there is no other information such as an address etc. it was found within a hundred yards of two other men's dog tags plus lot so WWII finds. So if this is an actual GI tag, why not all of the info? I am pretty stoked at finding this, pretty cool in my eyes. DL

I hope you find the original owner of those tags or at least his family. That would be another really good deed done.

Officially, people are supposed to return the dog tags to Uncle Sam as they are still DOD property, but I feel that it would be better to come from the finder, not some government lackey.

I am constantly in awe of those who served and are serving now. We are free because of them and all they sacrificed.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Michael S. Stager (3576561) was drafted into the Army at Ft. Hayes, Columbus, Ohio on 13 Sept 1943. He lived in Cuyahoga, Ohio. You may wish to contact current Stager families in the area of Ft. Hayes as well as The American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars organizations in that same area--and tell them you hold the service tag and wish to return it to either the soldier or one of his kin.
Good luck,
Don......

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Michael S. Stager (3576561) was drafted into the Army at Ft. Hayes, Columbus, Ohio on 13 Sept 1943. He lived in Cuyahoga, Ohio. You may wish to contact current Stager families in the area of Ft. Hayes as well as The American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars organizations in that same area--and tell them you hold the service tag and wish to return it to either the soldier or one of his kin.
Good luck,
Don......

thank you so much, we managed to find out that he was from Ohio and a possible grandson to contact but you have really filled in the gaps. yes, we will get it back to the family as soon as possible. DL

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find on your part, and excellent research on the part of Mackaydon.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will do a little repair work to straighten it out better and hopefully have it sent off to a family member before this week is over.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dirt Looter, Congrat's to you on a terrific find of the GI's dog tags. Also for the combined efforts of yourself and Mackaydon in tracking down and doing the research on this soldiers family. I know they will be proud to receive their loved ones dog tags in the event he is no longer living. This was a great post. Keep us posted on how this plays out in its return to the family if you will. Great story and even a Greater Deed in the return.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dirt Looter, Congrat's to you on a terrific find of the GI's dog tags. Also for the combined efforts of yourself and Mackaydon in tracking down and doing the research on this soldiers family. I know they will be proud to receive their loved ones dog tags in the event he is no longer living. This was a great post. Keep us posted on how this plays out in its return to the family if you will. Great story and even a Greater Deed in the return.:icon_thumright:

As an American plus a Vet, it is an honor to be able to do such a thing as this. Then you throw in the family with some of their historic past coming back to remind them of a member's past service, sends chills up my body. We had pretty much found the family but Don filled in the background for sure. I had told my wife that someone like Don would find the info for us and He did. I may never find anything worthy of a banner but finding and returning 3 WWII GI Dog Tags to the families is super rewarding and exciting. Gotta love this hobby! Jerry

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off excellent find, secondly what a AWESOME site with incredible people who reach out and help one another at the drop of the hat. I know that Stager family will be very appreciative to get this small token of a family member time here on earth. The story of how the got the tag will be passed down, you all are now part of a family history, well done!!!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you did,and it totally amazing the return T-netter members research for returning that dog tag to the family was awesome. I hope you are successful in returning it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions