All Treasure Hunting
Are you referring to the dark spots?

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not an expert by no means, and in my opinion it looks like a mineral stain, or something of the sort from the photos you have. I could be wrong, and i could not be seeing detail that you see. If that is the case take a closer and clearer picture of the area you are referring to please.

bigbry

Greenie
Jun 16, 2013
Could be a carbon deposit...... Often when the plants decay they leave behind a corbon fossil depositdehind in the shape of whatever plant life it would have been. Hard to tell tho from the photo...

OP
OP
MackDigger

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it near a creek so I'm was thinking it looked like a tadpole or fish of some kind but now that you mention it it could be a plant. Think it's worth keeping?

bigbry

Greenie
Jun 16, 2013
Absolutely...... Having both halves is neat. Besides its a great conversation piece. You can ask what your friends think it might be and get them into finding things also

RiverWalker

Greenie
Nov 12, 2012
Ames, IA
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Other
I found it near a creek so I'm was thinking it looked like a tadpole or fish of some kind but now that you mention it it could be a plant. Think it's worth keeping?

It could be a lot of things, it takes million of years for things to become fossilized. Just because it was found by a creek has nothing to do with what might be inside a rock near a creek. That creek wasn't even an idea when that rock was made. For all anyone knows it could be a scorpion if the area was a desert millions of years ago, or wherever the rock came from. I suggest you start reading about the local geology and first try to date the rock, then try to find out what sort of things lived when that rock wasn't a rock. Then maybe you can narrow things down a bit more.

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it to me but I am a total novice. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
it does look possilbe, if the stone is close to the silurian age it could be a fish, seafloor plant, etc.....fish fossils from that age do look odd because they're 'jawless' and have strange shaped bodys!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions