DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
002.JPG 007.JPG 025.JPG I found this guy last Saturday creek walking.It was laying flat stuck up against a bank.At first I thought it was some crazy looking leaf,it didn't look real until I picked it up.I mean it really stood out from all the other material in the creek.It looks to be corner notched and has a eared base.The closest example's I have seen that look similar are Elko point's made from obsidian.From doing some reading it seems Elko points are only found out west, what makes me think it is something else?I am not good at identifying different materials eather, but I almost want to say it looks like it is made from some kind of blue- grey slate?The other pic are some possible heartbreakers and debris I found from the last couple hunts. 026.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice! Great find, looks like a nice well made, thin early archaic piece to me as well. The material looks like grey chert, fairly common in VA. The creeks here in the mts have been covered in leaves for a few weeks. Thanks for the view.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah when I walk through the woods I must sound like "Big Foot" coming. Im 6 ft 7 and use to weigh 350 but since I have been jumping in and out of creeks I am 290 now. I feel much better losing weight. Hope you find another nice one soon, rock
You too man!Gonna have to start calling you BigFoot,good god man:walk:! Watch all that jumping though,good way to jar your back over time.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Great find, looks like a nice well made, thin early archaic piece to me as well. The material looks like grey chert, fairly common in VA. The creeks here in the mts have been covered in leaves for a few weeks. Thanks for the view.
Thanks Viking!It's the nicest one I have found so far.Thanks for the help!"It's weird,I never see any stones around here that color?

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Viking!It's the nicest one I have found so far.Thanks for the help!"It's weird,I never see any stones around here that color?

The cortex, or outside of a chert nodule looks very different compared to whats inside. Here is an example of some chert that may be found in your area. We also find black chert up here.

Gray Chert

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find some blue chert at times I wonder if it is local here or traded in?

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Really nice point Digiron2 ! Decatur points are really pretty scarce over here in MD & DE, and I suspect they are pretty rare where you are too. That is a really nice and thin example, with serrations and all. I am curious to know if yours has the burin flaked base? Is the very bottom edge of the point sort of flat, and ground smooth? Thanks and best wishes for continued success.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
are those like a mackorkle?

just asking cuz i don't know much about the pieces from the east

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread