Found this strange stone

roscoelux

Mar 20, 2015
N . Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spindle whorls have a hole all the way through the center where a thin stick is placed to spin it for plying yarn.
th.jpg

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting object ? It reminds me of a few similar objects we have dug occasionally from 1850-1900 era bottle dumps. The objects I am referring to were made of various types of ceramics or pottery, and were usually very crudely made and formed. I do not know what they were used for, but we did dig one once that had the name of a Chemical Works Company out of New York, impressed in the clay before it was fired. Perhaps they were crude ceramic stoppers used to cover vessels containing chemicals while heating them in ovens? I will see if I can find some pictures to better explain what I am referring to. If it was found in a dry creek bed, perhaps it is worn down somewhat from it's original form?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
100% NOT a concretion with man made patterns around the rim. Sorry.

Would not be at all difficult for a person to incise lines on a concretion, though I have no idea if natives collected and/or decorated such natural objects. So there is a certain illogic to what you're saying. And by definition, spindle whorls must have perforations, or they are not spindle whorls. Hopefully you can post sharp photos to demonstrate there is man made decoration/pattern. And it would help, perhaps, to show profile views as well.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I beg to differ. That is a concretion. The lines you are talking may or may not be incised. They may also be natural.

These look almost identical to your piece except for the lines and some have what look like incised lines around them though.

Attachments

• nodules5.jpg
    nodules5.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 2268643343_01457157f6_b.jpg
    2268643343_01457157f6_b.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 74
  • moqui_marbles.jpg
    moqui_marbles.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 73
  • nodules3a.jpg
    nodules3a.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I beg to differ. That is a concretion. The lines you are talking may or may not be incised. They may also be natural.

These look almost identical to your piece except for the lines and some have what look like incised lines around them though.

I see the possibility of it being concretion WITH human inscribed design's on the rim. Still can't get a good pic of the design, but I am going to take it to a local expert, and will provide an update

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking it looked like a paint pot, tho small for that.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a picture of one I found years ago. It's not much bigger than yours. Layla Halloween 010.JPG

It's the size of a 50 cent piece, and shallow.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions