Found this wreck (pile of ballast rocks and various items) in the Caribbean ...

BRUNO ST KITTS

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I attach photos of the ballast pile (about 45 feet long) which I found as well as pics of various items found at the site. The ballast pile is laying on the sand near a reef not too far from shore, so I suspect that the vessel was wrecked during a hurricane and any significant items (possibly cannons) were removed. However I cannot not find anything on this wreck in local archives and in my documentation. Any help in dating the wreck, in identifying the items, and guidance in taking this forward would be much appreciated.
P1090519.JPG P1090516.JPG P1090515 - smaller size.jpg P1090850.JPG

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Bruno, I imagine that you might have to look under the sand at the site to find more items of interest. I'm also going to give you another place to look. With or without a metal detector.

Over on another Island close to you. ( Antigua ) I dove on a Privateer that wrecked close to shore in a Hurricane. I also checked the shore (Without a metal detector ) and came up with pieces of pottery and some other artifacts. It wouldn't hurt to give the shore a try. If you have a metal detector, you might even get lucky enough to find some coins. Please keep us posted and by the way. Try using electrolysis to clean those metal items. Then you might have a better idea or what they are. Good Luck and nice find.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck Bruno, the wreck sounds interesting to check out.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Carefully move as many ballast stones as boredom allows off to one side, you may be surprised what you find in the pile, contraband was often shipped at the bottom, or even in the pile, if it's black it's silver, if it's shiny it's probably gold ha ha...........

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I wish I could join one of these but don't do under water stuff. Don't be afraid to look within 100 yards on every side too.

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow. I wish I could join one of these but don't do under water stuff. Don't be afraid to look within 100 years on every side too.
Come on smokey, take the plunge, diving is great, some cats like water........

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about it many times, especially since jobs are so scarce here yet where I live. They tell me sharks aren't much of a problem, that would be my main concern and am nearsighted with less peripheral vision as once had years ago. I do see better up close without glasses, for they tend to balance eye prescriptions to far distance.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've thought about it many times, especially since jobs are so scarce here yet where I live. They tell me sharks aren't much of a problem, that would be my main concern and am nearsighted with less peripheral vision as once had years ago. I do see better up close without glasses, for they tend to balance eye prescriptions to far distance.

Where treasure hunting is concerned the sharks in the water are the least of your concerns.........it's the sharks on land you need to watch, 😊

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's a great looking site you have found Bruno. I am doubtfull that there will be enough treasure there to retire on but back in the day every ship had to carry a certain amount of silver or gold on board because it was the only form of currency that was universal. You will certaianly find some very interesting artifacts that's for sure. That sand is amazing at preserving items so if you don't have an underwater metal detector yet you may want to invest in one and sart looking around that area and as stated by Sads in the ballast pile.
If you bring up the iron artifacts please put them through electrolisis or leave them on the bottom otherwise the history of this wreck may be lost forever.
Keep us posted on your finds.
ZDD

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where treasure hunting is concerned the sharks in the water are the least of your concerns.........it's the sharks on land you need to watch, 
Thanks SADS, more or less that's what I've been told about sharks in the water.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SADS, my Maine coon cat lovers the water. There's nothing like waking up to mandatory petting of a WET CAT at 6 am.

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , a great and interesting find Bruno , the ballast pile looks undisturbed , as others here stated could be some hidden treasures to be found , good luck .. cheers Mick

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if you could use something large as a 5 gallon bucket, to put the rocks in and slowly bump it along the bottom? A pail that size full of stones on land is really heavy to carry, you'd burn up a lot of calories doing it.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A small 3" suction dredge would work great to remove the sand overburden and small rocks. The rest would have to be done by hand.
ZDD

OP
OP
B

BRUNO ST KITTS

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many thanks for your comments and suggestions. I went back today and the ballast is almost entirely covered by sand. After the holidays I'll do some serious investigation. I'll definitely keep you posted.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many thanks for your comments and suggestions. I went back today and the ballast is almost entirely covered by sand. After the holidays I'll do some serious investigation. I'll definitely keep you posted.

Keep at it Bruno - you just never know what it may lead to!!!! :skullflag: :2barsgold: :icon_thumleft:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SADS, my Maine coon cat lovers the water. There's nothing like waking up to mandatory petting of a WET CAT at 6 am.

Oh deep joy, if you want a laugh while petting your wet cat read my fun website scubahermit.com at least you'll be chuckling while petting.............

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

make sue you mark that spot well for future reference - even buying a cheap GPS would be worth it!
I plotted finds on a GPS and was able to see a clear "trail" start to materialise after a while.

Good luck!!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
make sue you mark that spot well for future reference - even buying a cheap GPS would be worth it! I plotted finds on a GPS and was able to see a clear "trail" start to materialise after a while. Good luck!!

I can't bring myself to be wicked to you at Christmas BVI so I won't say anything bad.........Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I found some small bits of steel wreckage deeply embedded in rock, so I have taken your advice on the GPS. and I'm hot on the trail ha ha.....

Mud Skipper

Jun 12, 2013
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter
Detector Pro
Pulse 8X
Aquapulse 1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt its undisturbed, thats a large assumption being made it takes 2 weeks or so and the slime has regrown on disturbed stones, St.Kitts has a lot of moving sand, I thought I saw a brick in the photo, get the brick clean it and see if there is a name stamped into the brick, there is plenty of history on the wrecks around the island, St.Kitts has joined Unesco however. Go over to White House Beach and look at that naval ship and cannon scattered in the shallows the archeologists that excavated it left the timbers exposed after they had finished and its slowly been looted and destroyed since by mother nature, to clear a ballast pile the size in the photo should take you a day at best on your own, then what? I doubt you will find anything worthwhile vs the history that may be lost by not excavating it properly and recording it properly, at best sign up for a NAS course and learn to map the timbers and site so that others may learn from it, coins are so cheap online nowadays that just wiping history away for some fun seems silly?
St.Kitts has a lot of history and will keep you busy, my advice that unless you are certain you will retire from it, leave it be. You will know when you find a good site, and there are some around St.Kitts. Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread