Four...Hundred...Year...Old...Silver...Coin...Foun d...Today!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was digging the 17th century site today. We had a late start, but still had four hours. I missed my chance at stardom with the squirming through the fence slot again. No one took a picture. Hence, no youtube stardom, like that's worth anything anyway. Well, I went back to the hot spot I found last Saturday and it didn't disappoint. Lots of pieces of small lead were found as well as some colonial buck shot, hand made, and found a few modern lead bb shot from shotguns. Those are annoying signals, even 3" deep! A lot of the forget broken iron will ring as high tones on the Deus. So I dig them. Half the time its NOT iron. Dig it all, let God sort it out.

I found a nice 17th century button, then some more and on one part of the site there was a later house, ca 1770. Over there I found some other flat buttons and more of the large colonial buck shot. A little later I got a prize, a very early partial eyeglass buckle in cast brass.

In the area we were getting the most from the 17th century house, I got an "85" on the Deus, but this target sounded SMALLER than the others.

I took out a big plug and the ground was plain muddy and in some places you'd get stuck in the mud.

After chasing the signal with the pinpointer, I picked out a small, round disc. After getting some of the mud off, I noticed a silver gleam on a corner.

After I got home I cleaned it a little, the copper inherent in the silver tarnished it somewhat. There is some detail remaining, but it appears to be a hammered silver coin.

It is about 15mm in diameter and weighs .84 grams. It may be a contemporary counterfeit. I'm thinking it started out life as an English 1/2 groat, James I or later. Now, in theory it could be from any place, and any point in time. The pirates went all through there and we believe fired on the little settlement, as we're finding grapeshot and swivel shot near where the houses were. The 17th century pirates could have had coins from any period, and time.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. A picture of both sides, and the little buckle are attached.
View attachment IMG_1467.jpg View attachment IMG_1468.jpg View attachment IMG_1469.jpg View attachment IMG_1470.jpg View attachment IMG_1466.jpg

Any idea on identification is appreciated. EXCITED!

Upvote 57

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Richard?, Henry?, the first English settlers were on this land in the 1630's. Anyway, it's cleaning up more. Of course I found two Roman coins in NJ and a Byzantine coin in SC in 1989, so who knows. Check the other thread for another head scratcher I found today. It's cool!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A2coins, I can't have a banner because I already have one. Thank you regardless. I didn't dig as much this year, and almost nothing over the summer, but I sure made up for it! Had a blast and now getting excited for 2019 since I retired and every day is 1) suck up to the cats day 2) suck up to the chickens day and 3) play day!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggerranger, do you really have 3 thumbs??? I am so wired tonight....it's not often you can dig on a 17th to 18th century site two days in a row. Lifting mud out of a 3' deep hole was no fun whatsoever. Gonna get muscles!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks for all the comments. I went back to the site today and dug part of a trash pit out, but more on that later. I have the coin stewing at the moment, I just got back. I have some (one I think) of the billon coins, this is not that. There are microscopic scratches on the edges and it's solid silver.
You don't get copper-oxide on a solid silver coin. period. (unless for some strange reason it was up against 2 copper objects on both sides of the coin, very unlikely, as you would have found them both)

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader, it's being cleaned now. The copper is coming off with no issues. in about 4 hours it will be done "cooking" and I'll post some new close ups. :laughing7:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, the lemon juice worked perfectly. Here are views, each one rotated 90 degrees. IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0106.JPG IMG_0107.JPG IMG_0108.JPG IMG_0109.JPG IMG_0110.JPG IMG_0111.JPG IMG_0112.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    825.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0113.JPG
    IMG_0113.JPG
    762.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Looks like a melted blob of ally TP

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy smokes that's awesome!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure we'll ever figure it out, but it DID clean up nice! I have a coin dealer nearby who knows the old stuff very well. I'll take it him Wednesday, if it was/is a coin, he would probably know.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your method for cleaning worked very well. Congrats on a very interesting find. Hope it’s what we all want it to be and that’s a coin. Good luck.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is pretty cool. It looks like hammered silver. I hope it is

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's old, I found it, I'm keeping, I think it was a hammered coin re-purposed for something else and lost.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A nice last find for 2018-
Congrats

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hawks88, I only use this on what I consider "junk" silver, lemon juice straight from the lemon! On coppers and pewter and I use the Andre's Pencils. Relicific, thanks. That blew me away for 2018. A few weeks ago I thought I'd have to give up detecting for good, but decided since the joints were going to wear out anyway, might as well not sit on this website ALL DAY and get out some. A little balance is needed. I am STILL so jazzed at this weeks' finds, I'll come down off the excitement-eventually.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m thinking potentially 3-400 year old silver button, simple floral pattern. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546276588.733628.jpg

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader, and pa-dirt-nc-sand, I'm with you. I will still take it to the coin guy. He has his awesome binocular microscope but it is 17th or 18th century hammered silver thingamagig. Yes, there are added punched little trefoils and some lines on the one side.

Crusader, check out the other thread for the early 18th century locking tobacco box cover. I'm still on the ceiling over that find from the slurping mud yesterday.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wonder if it was a silver button smashed with a hammer. On Post#28 photo 5 - 9; I wonder if the small raised part on the back could be a very flatten shank? On photos 1 - 4 there appears to be a leaf pattern in between the center blob and rim. Of course, my eyes may very well be playing tricks on me. :dontknow:

Although, I'm hoping it to be an old coin! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread