fractional silver and what if?

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wondering if anyone has bought fractional silver. I don't mean junk silver but I have seen 1/10, 1/2 ounces of silver on youtube. Very cool, especially the 1/10 "wheat" cents. Would love to get some of those but I can't afford the minimum 100 ounces I saw on one website.

Also I was wondering if the government put silver coinage out again, would you buy it in the rolls or would you still search old rolls for the older silver? Idea kinda popped into my head and I just had to ask.

Take care whoever is on the east coast. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hugs and Smiles, Garoulady

Upvote 0

Myrick

Sep 21, 2012
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver is cheap, so I wouldnt buy less than a OZ if I was buying for straight bullion, morgans, dimes, quarters are a different story of course...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver is cheap, so I wouldnt buy less than a OZ if I was buying for straight bullion, morgans, dimes, quarters are a different story of course...

I agree Fractional silver seems useless to me, you said
on youtube
? Typo ? you mean Ebay ?

1/10, 1/2 ounces of silver on youtube sounds like a scam.
just saying Carefull !

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bunch of mercury dimes and silver quarters.
I love fractional silver.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
No I actually saw it on youtube. Some guy wa showing off a pile of fractional silver he bought and where he bought it from. The only true fractional silver I have right now is about 5 half ounces I bought when I was a teenager.

Oh well, Thanks for the input. Thought I would ask.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wondering if anyone has bought fractional silver. I don't mean junk silver but I have seen 1/10, 1/2 ounces of silver on youtube. Very cool, especially the 1/10 "wheat" cents. Would love to get some of those but I can't afford the minimum 100 ounces I saw on one website.

Also I was wondering if the government put silver coinage out again, would you buy it in the rolls or would you still search old rolls for the older silver? Idea kinda popped into my head and I just had to ask.

Take care whoever is on the east coast. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hugs and Smiles, Garoulady

dawg I dont recommend buying fract silva cause theres a higher premium per ounce ratio

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
It's not necessarily a bad idea if you're paying spot, but it's an exceedingly bad idea if you're paying a surcharge...

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...just think of your mercy as silver pennies.

[

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most fractional bullion is WAY over priced. You pay a premium for the small size. Just by 1oz or 5oz bars or rounds or better yet silver U.S dimes. Would you ever need a smaller piece of silver? Maybe.... But not likely and if you do you could always cut it in half.....lol

vetarun

Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this still the CRH forum or silver bullion forum? No, they are not going to put silver in spending currency again. Seriously?

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So good points here, let me break these up into chunks...

Just wondering if anyone has bought fractional silver. I don't mean junk silver but I have seen 1/10, 1/2 ounces of silver on youtube. Very cool, especially the 1/10 "wheat" cents.

Yes besides 10 and 1 oz ingots I buy all the 5 and 10 gram units my LCS has for sale. Remember 31 grams roughly per troy oz so six 5s or three 10s make for good "change" if you needed it break an oz. I would stick with grams, 1/4 and 1/2 ounces are hard to use. Think about this, a 1 gram piece right now is worth a little over a buck, a 5 around $6 so you're talking small enough units to use like you use slight more than a $1, $5, $10. A 1/2 oz of silver right now its around $16, kind of an odd amount a still a bit bulky for fractionals. However still an option.

Would love to get some of those but I can't afford the minimum 100 ounces I saw on one website.

Keep an eye out for an honest coin shop on these, theres no markup in secondary market. I pay 5% over spot for these, even the little 1 gram units, same as if I was buying 1 to 10 oz bars. I just picked up a roll of nickel size 5 gram .999s that are in the design of the ASE, very nice looking.

I think most of use would do both and many do both now (with ASEs, foreign, rounds). Some are too cheap and only do CRH but i don't trust any one media. My silver is mixed 40%, 90%, ASEs, ingots, foreign, etc. Same with gold and plat, cause you dont know what could get called in if there was another presidental order. This is why 90% or ASEs alone are a bad idea. Sure you might not turn them in if you want to go illegal in that case but you want some silver you can legally trade with.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Seen some kool 1 oz rounds on eBay that u could break into quarters but the price wasn't right

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seen some kool 1 oz rounds on eBay that u could break into quarters but the price wasn't right

Silvertowne has 1oz bars that break into 1/4 oz bars under a brand called "Stagecoach". They sell for a fairly low there with free shipping on alot of items.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats not bad and the design is nice but lets look at this: 1/10 = 3.1g = 4.28+ shipping. Maybe slightly lower if you buy alot. So 10 oz worth = $408 before shipping.

What I'm talking about is something a 5.05 gram bars (1/6th oz) for $5.50 each no shipping. For 10oz thats $330 no shipping. Like I said if you can get you LCS dealer to put them aside for you let the first guy take the small unit hit.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to wait until the bullion is on clearance and then buy.. Also I never buy small amounts.. I save up, wait for the dip and then make my purchase..

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the incuse design is great on that AG mini indian. also the matte finish.

I would like them edges not to be reeded. but I would buy a couple at the markup - shipping is what deters me.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the incuse design is great on that AG mini indian. also the matte finish.

I would like them edges not to be reeded. but I would buy a couple at the markup - shipping is what deters me.

Obviously, but the shipping isn't that bad as long as you wait to buy massive purchases.. I also do not have the convenience of purchasing bullion anywhere near me, so I don't really have much of a choice.. I will also often wait for Provident to offer free shipping as a promotion.. Often times they will only offer if you are purchasing more than 500 in bullion, but I don't buy anything less than that so it is a great deal for me..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread