Fragile history

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
The great thing about farmers, is they plough things up for us to find. The bad thing is, in doing so they can damage them. These latest two hammered coins prove this sad fact. The largest one is a half groat of Henry VIII, the smaller one, not got an id yet. The button is a 17th century type, rare to find with the shank still attached. The field I've been searching, is liberally covered with pot shards and Neolithic worked flints. All in all a great place to search.

Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_6638.JPG
    IMG_6638.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_6639.JPG
    IMG_6639.JPG
    564.7 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 14
OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds once again, getting a broken hammered is still a good day.

No till is the new norm here as well it's a sad day to hear "Just going to tickle the surface"

Last edited:
OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Heyyyyy Rob, nice scores. Your killing it with hammered silvers. You must be a hell of a detectorist - Sites that old must just be littered with iron signals and other nonsence from centuries, and you can still pull the good stuff.

Steve
Hello Scrappy, it is all about sites. And true some sites can be littered with all sorts. Usually the biggest problem though is not iron. It tends to be coke (burnt coal), some sites are covered in the stuff. The deus though knocks out coke with discrim on 32, but still finds tiny hammered silver coins.:thumbsup:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Rob and congrats! It seems that a lot of your' finds cover a very large span of history. Must be fun! The oldest find I ever made, was a Pre-Woodland Native American Indian fishing point just outside of Lexington, North Carolina while Gold prospecting in a small stream. I was told that the fishing point dated prior to the Woodland Indian Cultures in the Eastern United States which generally spanned from 2,000 BC to 1,000 BC and I am sure that the small stream in which it was lost, was much bigger back then and may have even been a small river.

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep - exactly. So unless peanuts are planted, and there aren't too many of those, the ground never gets turned over. It has something to do with the Chesapeake Bay Act and keeping fertilizers and other chemicals from entering into the bay.

The large crops here in Tennessee are done pretty much the same way but I don't believe it has anything to do with keeping fertilizers and other chemicals out of the waterways. Here, they disc the fields early in the year to mulch what is left of the previous crop then plant a cover/harvest crop usually (I believe) Oats or Rye. The cover crop is harvested around this time (sometime earlier), disc the fields as well as apply liquid fertilizers and sometimes Lime, then they plant the big money crops which is always Corn or Soybeans. Each field is rotated every year as to which crop is planted and depending on a field's yield in the late fall, a Winter cover crop may be planted then totally disc'ed under in March before the Spring cover/harvest crop is planted. I understand that the mulch from the previous year's crops and the mulch from the cover and over cover/harvest crops, helps to retain moisture and fertilizers in the ground and the crops usually do much better. My neighbors (sons and grandsons of Hugh Moser who gave up raising cattle as he could make more money growing feed crops) owns many of the bigger farms and fields near me and have a cooperative with other large land owners to plant and harvest their' fields. I don't know how much land they actually plant and harvest on but between my' home and the main highway through the city, they probably plant 5,000 acres or more. You see their' tractors and harvesters all over the area, so they must have another 5,000 or more acres that they plant and harvest within a 10 mile radius of here.

Sorry for the long post! I never was good a abbreviating anything.

Frank

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Nice finds Rob and congrats! It seems that a lot of your' finds cover a very large span of history. Must be fun! The oldest find I ever made, was a Pre-Woodland Native American Indian fishing point just outside of Lexington, North Carolina while Gold prospecting in a small stream. I was told that the fishing point dated prior to the Woodland Indian Cultures in the Eastern United States which generally spanned from 2,000 BC to 1,000 BC and I am sure that the small stream in which it was lost, was much bigger back then and may have even been a small river.

Frank
True Frank, the time span of finds is great. Never been gold panning though, have you found much gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread