Modern Flaked Tomahawk

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I am still working on this one for my brother. The head was knapped by a local guy. I used a maple branch and cut a groove and cinched it up with some wet rawhide. I got the rawhide from one of those dog chew toys. I soaked it and took it apart so I could cut it into strips. I wrapped some artificial sinew top and bottom, but I don't like the look, so I think I will use more of the rawhide. I will finish it with some glass beads on the fringes.

Attachments

• hawk.JPG
    hawk.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,627
  • hawk1.JPG
    hawk1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 811
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Thanks! I don't remember the name of that material. The guy that knaps these uses material from all over the world.

HH

TripleCreek

Jan 27, 2009
Mid Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro- DeLeon
Nice, clean looking tomahawk!!

Way to be inovative, finding some rawhide in an old dog chew toy. That's real rawhide. I have to hide, all my sinue, and rawhide, or my dog (Scooby, a beagle) eats it all up!! (He is fast and sneeky too) I am glad to see some others posting on Modern "Repo" side. Keep it up.

Best Regards,
3creeks

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi that guy wouldnt happen to be bob would it.a retired gov meat inspector would it jamey

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Hi, his name is Bob but he is too young to be retired, and he wasn't a meat inspector.

Does the retired Bob sell his points?

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
What's all the hub bub about Bob, Buddy ? Who ever he is he's good I hope he is teaching this craft somewhere so others can learn what we all may need to know in the very near future. :wink:

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
It's just that there seems to be more than one Bob here in WV that does similar work with the same kinds of materials.

Yeah, I agree that we all may need to know the secrets of the "Old Ones" here in the not to distant future.

HH

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i used to work with a guy in west virgina,bob cant remember his last name as was 20 years ago when i didnt even think about points,but he was napping back then.i was just hopeing it was him,so i could let him know im interested in it now... jamey.ps he knapped his own knifes for the doctors to use when he had to have some kind of operation,and they used them.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
That's interesting jamey, I've heard similiar stories of knappers working pieces of obsidian to give to a doctor to operate on them. There's nothing sharper, steel doesnt even come close. Obsidian can be worked down to molecular thinness. I would like to get back into knapping, just when I stated to get comfortable and pretty decent at it, I managed to drive a sliver of obsidian through a thick leather glove and into my thumb, severing a tendon, I decided to hang it up after that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread