Franklins expedition, 1845

After years of searching, and a massive effort on the part of the Government of Canada and the territorial Government of Nunavut, WE FOUND THEM!

Having PM Harper involved in a shipwreck search to the degree that he has been in this one is the equal to having Obama doing the same on the 1715 fleet. I'm not sure if our PM searching for shipwrecks is a good thing or a bad thing ... it's not like we don't have many other problems that need his attention :)

To be complete with the information as to why a Prime Minister might be interested in shipwrecks, this has huge political ramifications in terms of Canada's claims to its distant Arctic waters, and the pending decisions as to where the Arctic boundaries might be drawn on future maps.

Lost Franklin expedition ship found in the Arctic - Politics - CBC News

Having an interest outside politics makes him a better politician!

Having an interest outside politics makes him a better politician!

Well, his main interest is showing that the government is involved up north, so that the Russians don't get any ideas about who that part of the world belongs to :laughing7:

I don't think the feds will let ME dive there. They are worried the cannons might drift away.:laughing7::skullflag:
ZDD

Sad story. I've read several accounts and it must have been a horrible ordeal. The modern equivalent would be sending a ship to Mars. Years away from help when it went sour. They've found graves scatterred on islands of crew who were buried and freeze dried.

After that you can be uplifted by reading of Shackelton's ordeal in the Antarctic and how he managed to save all the crew under the worst of conditions.

Magnificent cannon. Thanks for the update.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back