Free digital books

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I live in rural Mexico, place undisclosed for treasure seeker's security needs. Books in English are not highly available. So, I have downloaded in the last few years, over 1500 books from the Gutenberg Project, and have read around 1100 of them.

The old classics like Dickens; Silas Marner; the Bronte sisters are all in there.

There are a wide variety, early 20th Century westerns; a lot of Zane Grey books; Gene Stratton Porter; French detective stories; the Tarzan series; Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire; it is hard to describe all the books free for the download.

Of course, one does not have the satisfaction of a book to hold, but the contents are all there.

There are other sources. One current publisher, Baen, has a selection of current books for free. They actually increased sales by giving away free digital books. Or, at least they did last year, last time I checked.

I have gradually moved several hundred of my ordinary books from Texas to my house in rural Mexico. I was talking to the local librarian, and she said sometimes she got requests from young people who had lived in the US, and wanted something in English to read. So, I scouted around and gave her ten or twelve books, stuff like Charlotte Armstrong. Sorry, nothing really good, heh, heh.

I do have some WWI and WWII history books, but have not decided to give them up yet.

I have taught a few English classes, free because it is prohibited to accept money or gifts for anything I do. I have picked up three copies of the Tom and Jerry readers from the 40's, and 50's, Something for them to read beyond the Laubach reader with the course. I will get more, to cover the range of reading skill. I had tried teaching spoken English, but with no one to practice with, they quickly forget. But, they can always read English to keep up that skill.

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sound like a good man with a lot of time on your hands,1100 books read wow, when do you hunt :dontknow:

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
In the fourth grade in the fifties, I read over 400 words per minute. In high school it was over 1,000 wpm. I read very fast. Being retired, even an hour or two a day over several years finishes a lot of books.

As far as hunting, that is a long story. On the Aztec Gold thread, I have described the local legends, involving my wife's ancestors, from the Aztec Emperors' families. And, yes, that is a sure thing, unlike the legendary treasure buried here. My wife's great-grandma, died 1911, wasthe last of the local family, surname Moctezuma. The first one was several decades before Cortes came, a daughter of Moctezuma I.

This area,which I do not disclose for obvious reasons, is very historical, with much information on pre-Cortes inhabitants of importance.

So, I do not even have an MD here. My old one is in Texas, with a broken power switch, and old Garrett.

I am doing considerable research on the legends here, some of which have been proved true. Which does not at all mean the legends about the missing treasure of Moctezuma being buried here.

So, to answer your question in my own way, my hunting at this time consists of pure research by all possible means not involving swinging an MD or digging. Sixty years ago, when my wife was young, many people were allowed to dig all over the Moctezuma property with no luck.

If you want to read more, go to the Aztec Gold thread, I have written extensively there.

I do not personally believe the gold went north to Arizona as many believe, but that is just my personal opinion based on study of the history. if there was any treasure left, where I live would be much more probable than Arizona, since this is a trip of a very few days in non-hostile territory for the Aztecs.

There is a mound called Tetele de Moctezuma in this part of Mexico.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Based on much study, I have an idea the only place a large treasure could have been buried wth any security. I am contemplating buying either a GTI2500 with deep seeker, or a White TM808, next year, to investigate that specific place.

It is the same place where my wife's grandfather allegedly found old bones, and a gold neck piece, which was sold to buy a bell for the local church.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread