Friday and Saturday: Gold and Silver for under $39; 18kt gold ring for $50.....

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw several ladies' wrist watches at a garage sale on Saturday. Each one was tagged "Needs Battery...$1.00" One in the group wasn't a battery watch. I laughed to myself, thinking this "younger generation" seems to think that all wrist watches run on batteries when I saw "17 jewel movement" on the dial. Plus, what seemed odd was that the all metal mesh band was permanently welded to the watch c...ase. In that short bit of time, with more sales to go to, I thought that the old windup watch movement was at least worth the price, so I paid the lady one dollar. I have a watch and clock forum website I read that might answer with more data on the watch name on the dial of "ALEXIS".... After I got home, I took a lighted magnifying glass and saw on the worn back that it was stamped "14 K" gold.

I have a ring, but I haven't tested it, yet. It's another gamble at a "father & son" garage sale. The father said it was his wife's and that the Jeweler said, "It is 18kt and offered $50 for it." After coming down from $75, along with solid brass fireplace tool holder with a vertical rifle to hold the tools and an old dog laying in front of the fire ($10), he said he'd take $50 for it..... 'got to get my tester up and going!

At the same garage sale as the 14k watch, there was a $2 baggie of assorted costume jewelry along with a numbered Sterling pendant "Exactly like Jim gave Tammy Faye Baker for their 25th Anniversary." It weighs 28.9 grams by itself. It was a rather odd feeling when I fully realized the sad and twisted 'history' of it..... Here's a no-sale Ebay example of it:

Vintage Maco Sterling Silver Limited Edition Jim Tammy Baker Medallion Coin M1 | eBay

All totaled for Friday and Saturday, just over 105 grams of Sterling.... Gold value of the thin 14kt herringbone (1.5 g), 14kt latch with gold beads on a fresh-water pearl necklace, and the ring are still on hold...??? Lots of competition out there, but we were home before 11 o'clock each morning..

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    350.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 067.JPG
    067.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    379.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my second one in the past 2 summers. My wife goes with me and she's my navigator, route keeper, and "picker". She has found FOUR 14k watches in the last 3 summers!! One of those was found in a wooden and glass case of a "Sales Tax Charging" Professional Company doing the estate sale.... We've not paid over $5 for any one of the gold watches; mostly are $1 and $2 dollars apiece.

Keep looking at every one at every garage sale you go to. You'll find one!!

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spectacular on the jewels!
Something about finding great high end pieces and being home by 11:00 that just makes lunch so much more enjoyable. Gold watch...drool...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice on the gold and silver finds. I've yet to find a solid gold watch. You will do very well on that piece. That fish hook is cool, the last one sold for $20.50, so a pretty good premium on it for it's size. Vintage Sterling Fish Hook Brooch Pin Signed AB Matthew 4 19 Fishers of Men | eBay

Spectacular on the jewels!
Something about finding great high end pieces and being home by 11:00 that just makes lunch so much more enjoyable. Gold watch...drool...
I'm usually so busy researching my picks that I forget to eat lunch. doh!.gif

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never found a gold watch. Still trying to figure out what everyone's secret is. You all make it look easy. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread