Fridays change of pace hunt with Mirage, Nate and Don Holden

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Friday's change of pace hunt with Mirage, Nate and Don Holden

We decided to join in with one of Mirage's hunting buddies, Don Holden (frequents DFX forums) and hunt an old abandoned campground I had found in July, but was unable to hunt really due to BAD mosquitos.We met up at 8am (well, a little AFTER 8...wrong exit Mirage :D) and all piled into my Element and drove off to the Ohio/PA line.
It was an easy hike back in in heavy fog and we quickly found the latrines, lodge foundation and entrance road. Don and I started out hunting the edges of the lodge's foundation and were rewarded with plenty of old square nails ::)
Nate and Bob wandered about the woods and Don and I eventually found ourselves wandering around too...looking for that holy grail.
Long story short, I ended up with a 1938 Jefferson Nickle and a wheatie, and I'll let the others say what they found, but a total of 4 silver coins were dug, along with more wheats.
I DID have an exciting moment when at 9-10" I dug what I thought was a carbide can buried (visions of caches danced in my head)...it ended up being a VERY old glass-lined thermos, which contained only dirt and crumbled when I brought it out (see pic for what it looked like in the hole). I also dug a COOL old glass (intact) that must have been a souvenir from a trip to Paris as it depicts the Eifel Tower and the Arch De Triumph. The cool thing about it is that if the outer glass is wet, the etched image dissapears entirely, returning when dry. I tried to get a pic that shows the etching.
We switched gears and drove into PA and hunted a fairground. I hit a 44 Merc and more wheaties. Near the old cattle barn I also dug two old buckles...one looks like a horse harness buckle (marked ENGLAND) and is quite heavy. The other has a heart shape stamped into it (I think I've seen one on TN before..and help IDing it would be appreciated)..
It's possible a trip to the Iceberg is in the works for tomorrow....stay tuned.

HH all!!

Attachments

• 11-24hunt 001.jpg
    11-24hunt 001.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 366
  • 11-24hunt 002.jpg
    11-24hunt 002.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 360
  • 11-24hunt 003.jpg
    11-24hunt 003.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 359
  • 11-24hunt 004.jpg
    11-24hunt 004.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 360
  • 11-24hunt 006.jpg
    11-24hunt 006.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 356
  • 11-24hunt 005.jpg
    11-24hunt 005.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 348
Upvote 0

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Re: Friday's change of pace hunt with Mirage, Nate and Don Holden

Looks like you had a great times. That thermos would have got my heart pounding too. Thinking of a cache of coins inside

T

TreasureTales

Cool glass. The thermos would have had my heart a-pounding, too!!! Too bad it broke up. You could have put a few modern coins in it and reburied it. Then in 50 years from now some other detectorist could have found it and jumped for joy!! I do stuff like that sometimes...for future treasure hunters.

PLEASE return to the Iceberg tomorrow and post more pix. Love those Iceberg stories and pix!!!! :)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Hey. It was a beautiful day and most memorable even though the finds were nothing spectacular. Only trouble is that these all day trips wipe me out. Maybe I am getting burned out with all the metal detecting I have been doing....

Anyway, here are a couple more pics. We found 1800's relics but no 1800's coins. Little disappointing since the site really showed potential.
Last pic is of Don.

Bob

Attachments

• foundatin1.JPG
    foundatin1.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 329
  • foundatin2.JPG
    foundatin2.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 329
  • foundatin3.JPG
    foundatin3.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 319

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Great post guys. Glad you hook up and get out there on such a nice day. Congrats on the good finds you did have, too bad they weren't better, but we take what we can get huh.

Smiles!
BDoo

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Dunno just how meager the finds were!!...I was just sent an email with three links, all showing that the heart-embossed buckle I dug in Jamestown, PA is a Civil War Confederate Harness Buckle cover!!

Here's one of the links!.....
http://www.relicman.com/cavharness.htm

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL

Hey guys, looks like you had a good hunt.Sorry you didn't find the 1800's coins you wre looking for.But you found some nice stuff anyway.That thermos would of had me going too.Beautiful day to be out.Take care

T

TreasureTales

Danimal said:
Dunno just how meager the finds were!!...I was just sent an email with three links, all showing that the heart-embossed buckle I dug in Jamestown, PA is a Civil War Confederate Harness Buckle cover!!

Here's one of the links!.....
http://www.relicman.com/cavharness.htm
YeeHaw, you guys can start your own museum any day now!!!! Another piece of American history saved for posterity. Way to go!

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

Yeah, I just found and posted two of those heart buckles. They made them in brass and tin, the brass being older, mid 1800's to early 1900's. Tin was used around the 1920's. They also must make them in at least a couple different sizes. What you have there is the smaller buckle, with the attaching hardware intact, very nice. According to PBK, they are actually buckle guards that go over another buckle that attaches to the horse.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Congratulations on those finds. Still looks like a good haul Danimal. Can't wait to see the Berg haul tomorrow. That sure is one sweet spot there. Still looking hard for the SE Kentucky Berg. I am sure it's here somewhere.

Good luck to all of you tomorrow,

Postalrevnant

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON

Mirage said:
Hey. It was a beautiful day and most memorable even though the finds were nothing spectacular. Only trouble is that these all day trips wipe me out. Maybe I am getting burned out with all the metal detecting I have been doing....
No, just something called age - happens to all of us sooner or later.
Gord

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Great finds and wonderful pics. Looks like a fantastic day was had by all of you. Love that buckle cover!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent buckle find!

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Sounds like a great adventure you guys! And you got some nice goodies too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions