From Homerun to strike out...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I hit it big today! Turns out I got some replicas. Spent $20 on some cards on this yard sale. When I open the box I knew it was too good to be true but my eyes said different. Original owner had thousands and thousands of sports cards. The husband had left and the wife called to ask him how much. When he said what cards, she was trying to describe them. He wasn't home! I was shaking with excitement. So I probably should've known better but I couldn't leave them for $20. Now I'm a proud owner of a fake Michael Jordan rookie card, mario Lemieux, and Wayne Gretzky rookie card. Crap!

Although there is some magic cards I haven't gone through yet so hopefully those are good ones....

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441397953.905044.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441398127.918337.jpg

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell from your pic, but look at the NBA ball on the lower right of the back of the Jordan card. I have heard the genuine ones have lines in the ball, similar to what a real basketball would look like, whereas fakes have the ball just solid.

Edited to add: your link has way more information than I do! Thanks for sharing, and bummer about getting saddled with fakes :(. Chances are this seller might not have even known he had fakes among his stuff.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I googled them and saw what to look for. The Gretzky had a yellow spot on the shoulder that should be there and it's not. the back of the Jordan card on the bull sign shouldn't be dotted like it is.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441407445.764635.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441407475.642308.jpg

What I found amazing though they still smell like grandmas attic. They don't smell like a new card it smells like cards that are old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread