From Pennemunde to Outer Space Wernher Von Braun

Random4219

Jul 25, 2009
I was out in a junk store the other day and came across a book called From Pennemunde to Outer Space on which I have done a decent amount of research. It was compiled by George C. Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama and is about 850 pages long. It was made to honor Wernher von Braun's fiftieth birthday. The book was only given out at von Braun's birthday party at the Redstone Arsenal Officers Club on March 23, 1962. The book includes scientific articles and assessments relating to past and upcoming space flight projects. My particular copy includes a memo from Frederick I. Ordway III stating that after printing if there were any errors to please inform him and that they would create an errata sheet. I have another stapled memo from Ordway that includes this after publication errata sheet, which includes a couple of pages of corrections. The book was later mass published (sort of) by McGraw Hill under the name Aeronautical Engineering and Science and was cut down to 394(ish) pages.

That is the basics, but still leaves some questions to be answered such as price, number printed, etc. As for price I'm not sure. I am positive that it is rare and I have seen it on one website's list of top 20 holy grail space books; however, they had no price and that kind of list isn't official. As for how many were printed I can't find an exact number. I was able to get in contact with one of the book's four editors (Ordway) who is now in his 80's and in reference to how many were published said that there was one for von Braun and probably one for everyone who contributed an article. Not an exact number but insinuating a very small initial run.

I would be interested in any and all information or suggestions anyone would have. This book has really been quite the mystery. Most of the information I have is not from google, but from the Marshall Space Flight Center and individuals. All help is appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread