Frustration

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I have been digging in my yard. So far, I have found lots of pull tabs, miscellaneous metallic crud, and a few toys (a 1998 Phantom Corsair hotwheels car, ect) and what I am frustrated about is this:

I seem to have no problems playing in the tot lots with woodchips or gravel. My MD beeps on coins, and I find coins.

In dirt, it seems my MD beeps on stuff, and I dig and dig and dig, and either do not find anything, or find junk.

Besides the ease in moving chips, what am I doing wrong to not find stuff in dirt?

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Hunt demolitons and construtions sites. Sidewalk replacements, curb strip digging, tractor/dozer scrapes, lawn removal and the likes.

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I am concentrating on my own yard until I get the hang of it. I dont quite have the pinpointing down yet, I have to dig a hole about a foot in diameter and a foot deep to find a nail or whatever pull tab is down there......

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Libralabsoldier said:
I am concentrating on my own yard until I get the hang of it. I dont quite have the pinpointing down yet, I have to dig a hole about a foot in diameter and a foot deep to find a nail or whatever pull tab is down there......

With my machine I only dig a 4 or 5" hole and that's so I don't damage the target. It sounds like you may need a separate pin pointer with the machine you're using.

HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what kind of detector you are using, but if the closest you can get is a foot by a foot hole, you need something else! Most detectors, even the cheap ones can get you within a few inches of the target if they have a pinpoint mode. If yours does, get that manual and memorize it and practice with a few coins you bury and know the location of and figure out how to pinpoint it acccurately. About all I can offer for now. Monty

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Libra, exactly what Monty said, it doesn`t sound like u have a problem finding items just pinpointing them to dig.

Plant u some highly detectable items (coins) and put u a golf tee over them. Then go out and just practice your pinpointing find where your perticular machine pinpoints the items at and with the golf tee it will help u learn pinpointing and get it down to an art. Also a hand held pinpointer might help u alot. After u have practiced some start covering your planted items and golf tees with like a paper bag or something, pinpoint and push a straight piece of wire into the spot u think it is then pull the paper and compare where u marked to the golf tee.

D

dugupfinds

I never use pinpointing as I think it uses more battery power ??? Plus it takes to long to mess around with.

Keep Trying & like Monty said try buried practice coins. Swing your detector over the target several times, forward & back of where you think it is until it makes the loudest beep. Visualise the centre of the target which in most detectors is just above where the stem meets the head. Then dig back alittle way from where you think it is. This will stop you damaging coins that are on there edge.

If a target disappears its normally:
Fallen back in the hole out of range.
Stuck on your spade
Stuck on your foot
or if you have discrimination on then it could be a nail or similar object which when dug out no longer makes a good signal.

Starbuck

Dec 16, 2006
Browns Summit NC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
When I first started detecting I had some of the same issues. The soil sometimes is mineralized and will fool the detector when there is nothing there. I would highly recommend a separate pin pointer, I sped up my recovery time greatly when I got one. Try looking at www.kellycodetectors.com the pin pointer that is their brand is the one I bought it is great! I would also agree with what the others said about practicing to learn how your detector responds. I have found that in some cases I have to turn the discrimination up just a little to filter out mineralized dirt and get quality clean signals. You have to experiment with it though because if you go to much you will miss the items you want to find. GOOD LUCK and don't get frustrated PRACTICE makes PERFECT. - Starbuck

Attachments

• skulfade.gif
    skulfade.gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 261

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you just need to log more time with your detector, you should be able to pinpoint a lot closer with your detector. Once you gain some experiance with your machine you will improve your recovery methods. A inline probe or a good pinpointer will speed the recovery quite a bit. Good luck. Tsgman

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty said:
I don't know what kind of detector you are using, but if the closest you can get is a foot by a foot hole, you need something else! Most detectors, even the cheap ones can get you within a few inches of the target if they have a pinpoint mode. If yours does, get that manual and memorize it and practice with a few coins you bury and know the location of and figure out how to pinpoint it acccurately. About all I can offer for now. Monty

What Monty said. ;)

Also,
"I seem to have no problems playing in the tot lots
with woodchips or gravel. My MD beeps on coins,
and I find coins.

Perhaps there just are no coins in your yard. :-\

Hope you get it all figured out.

have a good un............................
SHERMANVILLE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread