PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We had a thaw in michigan over the weekend so I tried to get a january hunt in. The ground was partially frozen to completely frozen in some spots.
Tried a 100+ year old town square hoping for some older coins, but found so much clad maybe I need to clear that out first. Still happy to be digging money over trash. Also found a small silver ring marked "sterling espo" so at least I got some silver. Anyways it was fun to get out.
total_hunt.jpg ring1.jpg ring2.jpg

I also found this mysterious brass sphere object in the same town by an old train depot a few months ago. I finally got around to taking pictures of it. It weighs over 6 pounds and has about a 4 inch diameter. I am going to post it in the "what is it" forum.

bomb1.jpg bomb2.jpg bomb3.jpg

Happy Hunting

Pete

Upvote 0

the beav

Jun 14, 2008
west bend area
Detector(s) used
spectrum xlt
Greetings from across the pond pete here in Wisconsin. That is some nice finds for January, going to be cold here in a couple of days with single digit highs. That round item looks like it might be a bell that was used to hang around the necks of cattle. I have found some that look similar only smaller, bout one and a half inch in diameter.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did the same thing Pete. Ground got hard as a rock, quick, Thought beach sand would be dig able, top 2 inchs were easy, after that ,like concrete. Did recover a few shallow clad quarters. Hate seeing bare ground, thats so froze, recovery is out of the question!!! Come on Spring

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did the same thing Pete. Ground got hard as a rock, quick, Thought beach sand would be dig able, top 2 inchs were easy, after that ,like concrete. Did recover a few shallow clad quarters. Hate seeing bare ground, thats so froze, recovery is out of the question!!! Come on Spring

Last year around this time I was looking at some bare spots on the beach and thought I could detect and found the same thing as you, rock solid sand after an inch or two.
Looks like time to mothball the detector for the next few weeks at least. But on the good side my ice rink will freeze nicely. Have to do something fun to make winter pass quickly.

HH,

Pete

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings from across the pond pete here in Wisconsin. That is some nice finds for January, going to be cold here in a couple of days with single digit highs. That round item looks like it might be a bell that was used to hang around the necks of cattle. I have found some that look similar only smaller, bout one and a half inch in diameter.

Hi Beav looks like the same weather will be here soon.

FYI - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/330416-brass-sphere.html

The "What is it " forum amazes me what gets ID'd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread