spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every year Terry and I still celebrate our birthdays together and this has been going on for nearly 14 years now.

Since her birthday is in late June, we always head for a restaurant on the Jersey Shore. Two years ago it was no exception, so I had her pick a restaurant and we were off. We found a new place we wanted to try and decided to head there. I was glad we did, the food was great and they also had karaoke that night ;D I am a sucker for karaoke, I just love it. So we had a perfect evening up to that point.

When we left at midnight we figured that we would be home before one, so it wouldn't be that difficult to get up for work. Within 10 minutes of leaving I start smelling gasoline. I saw that my tank was still 3/4 and I didn't think much of it. The smell persisted and we were trying to figure out what was happening until another motorist signaled me that my tank was leaking. Now we are in the middle of nowhere, NJ, so I looked for a strip mall that had some lights. Sure enough, I had a leak and knew that I shouldn't drive much longer. It was only another 2-3 miles to it a large mall area where it would be safer to pull over so off we went. I called AAA and explained what happened. They notified me that I had to contact the fire department as they would not tow, or haul a car in that condition. Dialed 911 and had a patrol car there in minutes and the fire department seconds later. The fire department tossed sand or something absorbent on the spilled gas and were able to wrap a putty around the leak so I could get towed.

I called AAA and told them I have clearance from the fire department and that there were 2 people in the car. Problem.... AAA said the only truck in that area already had a helper on-board and that one of us would have to use a car service. We had also spoken with the tow guy and he said the same thing. Well we didn't want to separate as I would not let her drive with 2 unknown men, nor have to wait for car service. The solution?? Well the tow guy said, look I shouldn't do this "but" if we lower the seats all the way down and you stay low ride in the car. We both jumped in and laid down on the seat and off we went. That was the bumpiest ride I ever had, but we tought about all the other situations we had similar to this and laughed all the way home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread