Funny Adventure

pointshunter

Feb 10, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See I decided since the sun was out yesterday I'd try this new field by the river in lucas ohio . Well I get there and it's a bean field but there was a lot of open ground and the old man who owns it said he used to find a lot of stuff by the river when he was a boy . Well I'm always up to finding new stuff so I decided to walk the outside of the field till I got to the river. Well this river has a lot of washout on the banks so I decide to try my luck on these steep banks . Well my balance isn't very great thanks to a serious back injury that sometimes causes my left leg and foot to go numb. Needless to say I see this spot where there's a lot of rocks coming out of one spot , so I hold some tree roots and go over the side of the bank into the mud ( by the way u can't see the bottom of the water just big drop off in the river) and about the time I reach out for what looks like some great finds I end up swimming in the coldest water I've ever been in. NEVER EVER DO THIS ! Lmao! I had to pull my self out which was one hell of a feet freezing I got over the bank and by the time I got back to my van which was a good 1/4 mile from my dipping spot the only things I had was a broken point and some rocks! Lesson learned don't go by the river no matter how tempting in winter!

image-1469615673.jpg

image-3955553499.jpg

Upvote 0

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
You're right, valuable lesson learned. this story could have had a different ending, glad it didn't. Always consider your surroundings

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
It happens to us all. Was walking last winter with my buddy and he slipped and fell upriver and filled his waders. Needless to say we were done and walked the mile to the truck. My wife has also taken a dive off a log in the middle of the winter crossing a stream.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was introduced to the red clay by our river. It had rained the day before and the shore looked dry but I soon found out how slippery the mud can be just as soon as I stood on the bank. But it was summer here so it wasnt too bad. Im just glad you made it out ok. It can be dangerous when hunting by yourself. Always carry a stick with ya to test the banks and sand bars before you step on them. I use a big survey stake it is 4 ft long with a tip on it. Nothing special. Works good for flipping flint. If you use a metal tip sometimes it will scratch your finds.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I spent some time in (literally) the Ohio river this weekend and I concur that the water was about the coldest water I've ever been it. Reaching in for rocks was actually painful.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pointshunter,
Glad that you lived to tell the tale. Like they used say here in the old deep south, "Got toe be mo' careful" Good luck and be safe!

OP
OP
pointshunter

pointshunter

Feb 10, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent some time in (literally) the Ohio river this weekend and I concur that the water was about the coldest water I've ever been it. Reaching in for rocks was actually painful.

I agree on the lines if very painful up till the adrenalin kicked in

GTK96

Jul 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Somehow falling into water seems pleasant, considering all my misadventures usually involve slicing my foot open on rocks, broken glass, shells, etc...hahaha cool stuff though, that'll be good when it gets a little warmer

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When in water I wear non slip shoes, just saying

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you are safe. Sometimes a little boo boo can turn out very badly. You still have a new area to hunt and that is good.

OP
OP
pointshunter

pointshunter

Feb 10, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx everyone for taking the time to read my crazy adventure.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Hey, some of my favorite rock hunting stories involve someone falling into the water, and the colder the better! The ones where it wasn't me seem funnier.

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting your adventure, I've ended up in the drink a few times trout fishing here in the winter. The most memorable one was when I landed a 3 lb. brown on a high bank, was trying to get the hook out, he flopped towards the water and like an idiot, I decided to take after him and ended up in about 4 feet of January trout stream water. Pretty sure the brownie had a good laugh as he swam away...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread