jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Bought this yesterday. Already paid but it did not ship. Seller emailed me today and says "it said Lot of 200, however you only purchased 1 quarter, I was only selling one quarter so if you thought you were purchasing a lot of 200 quarters I am only sending 1, if that is not satisfactory I will gladly refund your money. Please let me know if you knew you were only purchasing 1 quarter, and I will send it out asap".

How should I proceed?

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to disagree with the Sellers assessment as his or hers description and title says 200 quarters and nowhere does it say you are bidding on 1 quarter. I guess you can open a case with ebay but I don't think anything will become of it. I personally would leave negative feedback but then again that's just me.
Also if you look at the description he is also selling a clad nickel and a 1909 at that, I guess he or she was in a hurry and screwed up and that would have gave me a red flag and I would have asked a question..

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd just take my money back and be done with it.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I have to take the sellers side on this one since it appears an honest mistake was made and because their feedback is 100%. Yes they screwed up. Yes it says "lot of 200" but.. did you really think you were buying $50 face value of silver quaters for 12 bucks ? That's $1,175 melt value at todays price.. Let's be totally honest here. You thought you caught everyone else sleeping and got the steal of the century & it turned out to be nothing more than an honest mistake on the sellers part. If you go to their feedback and look at some of the 1955D dime auctions they had recently those clearly say "you are bidding on one coin". They made a mistake, you didn't hit the lottery but you did get a nice quarter at a fair price (maybe a touch high). I have to respectfully dissagree with what Badger says. Feedback is very important to Ebay sellers (mine is close to 800 all +) and can easily be abused by buyers who "think" they have been wronged. If the seller told you to pound sand or if you looked at their prior feedback & saw a pattern of this behavior I'd say they deserve a black mark. That's simply not the case here. A pattern of bad behavior needs to be adressed. A one time typo, or omission is a MISTAKE. Some of these guys here aren't willing to cut anyone any slack or overlook the fact that people are human & screw up sometimes. A good seller when that happens, will offer to make things right. Move on with your life. Just my 25 cents worth. Have a great day.

Last edited:

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Looks to me that he made a template mistake, and his feedback doesn't support that he does this all of the time. He offered you a refund, so it sounds like you have your resolution.

OR, tell him to send you three, and you'll forget his mistake :)

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen cases like this before where the seller uses tricky language to make it sound like you are bidding on something you are not. They try to trip you up by missing an important detail in the description that completely changes what you are buying.

In this case, it is as clear as day that i was buying " a lot of 200 quarters". I am willing to admit that the seller obviously used a wrong template when creating this auction and never intended to sell 200 silver quarters for $12.75.

Here is my biggest problem with this: As an ebay seller myself, If it had been me who made this mistake, I guarantee I would have been "nailed to the cross" over my blunder.

I guess the seller was lucky that it happened to me versus some other scumbag buyer who would have taken this thing to the supreme court. I will accept my money back and move on but I want to make it clear that this is much worse than a simple "typo". IAW ebay policy, I have every right to assume I paid for 200 quarters and by "cancelling" the transaction after I paid, I MAY leave negative feedback. I probably will not do that out of the kindness of my heart...:p

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't see where anyone got confused with this auction.. he has it split to each quarter sold.. eBay.com Item Purchase History

Read the auction description:

"LOT OF 200 90% SILVER QUARTERS GEM UNCIRCULATED!
YOU AR BIDDING ON 200 UNCIRCULATED MINT STATE 1955 D WASHINGTON QUARTERS
"

How could there be any confusion with this description?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buyer is 1000% in the right. The title says it, as does the description, and so does the picture showing more than 1 quarter as examples. The fact he has not changed it definitely says it was intended, and not an error. It's a pretty stupid thing to do because people are most likely going to keep buying them and questioning the listing, and they should, because it very clearly says 200.

It's very easy to be clear so why not be.

PS: I would just get a refund and move on, he'll no doubt get sick of this.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Buyer is 1000% in the right. The title says it, as does the description, and so does the picture showing more than 1 quarter as examples. The fact he has not changed it definitely says it was intended, and not an error. It's a pretty stupid thing to do because people are most likely going to keep buying them and questioning the listing, and they should, because it very clearly says 200.

It's very easy to be clear so why not be.

PS: I would just get a refund and move on, he'll no doubt get sick of this.

Already received my refund. I already knew it would get refunded so I guess it was just a waste of my time.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some people look at it as a $12 lottery ticket, and that's exactly what the seller is hoping for.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
I don't see where anyone got confused with this auction.. he has it split to each quarter sold.. eBay.com Item Purchase History

Read the auction description:

"LOT OF 200 90% SILVER QUARTERS GEM UNCIRCULATED!
YOU AR BIDDING ON 200 UNCIRCULATED MINT STATE 1955 D WASHINGTON QUARTERS
"

How could there be any confusion with this description?
Well I see there was or you wouldn't be posting.. I seen what he had listed in description but was the auction set up for one bid? or multipule bids? from what I am seeing it was set up for per quarter like the guy said..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i have sold lots before.... I have a 1900 positive feed back .... Not one bad one...... and have made a mistake in my listing ...... and the buyer thought he was buying the lot ...... But i was only selling them one at a time .... And i sent a email to the buyer saying juat about what your email from the seller said.... and i was lucky he under stood my mistake......and did not give me a bad feed back......... I checked my listing and found my mistake and changed it right away ............ but you do have to watch some of the sellers on ebay they are not all honest................... Myself and others have noticed that a lot that leave bad feed back are newbees on ebay......... For some reason newbees think they have to leave a badfeed back with out thinking to much of what they are doing.........

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I think the description is deceiving, whether it's intentional or not who knows. I think Ebay should make them edit the wording so it clearly states "you are bidding on 1 quarter from a lot of 200" or pull the listing.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seller was apparently Hoping for allot more Money.
When the Bidding didn't happen, Seller decided to change the deal.

the Seller should have set Minimum in the first Place.

Get your Money Back. a Quarter is only worth $5.83 if Shipping is Included.

every ones allowed one Screw up, accidental or on Purpose.

If you Catch the seller doing it again, Report them.

Odd Bidding didn't rise, Perhaps they have been doing this for awhile,
and getting away with the Good feedback.

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bidding didn't rise because it was a buy it now with more than 10 available. I agree the listing seemed misleading, but surely nobody would believe the seller was selling a lot of 200 1955D quarters for $12.00 plus $.75 shipping.

Zofchak

Mar 11, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Excaliburs, Sovereign GT and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Bought this yesterday. Already paid but it did not ship. Seller emailed me today and says "it said Lot of 200, however you only purchased 1 quarter, I was only selling one quarter so if you thought you were purchasing a lot of 200 quarters I am only sending 1, if that is not satisfactory I will gladly refund your money. Please let me know if you knew you were only purchasing 1 quarter, and I will send it out asap".

How should I proceed?

You did the right thing by accepting the refund and being done with it. For anyone familiar with the value of the item and Ebay listings it should be obvious that it was a innocent mistake on the sellers part.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the seller edited his listing in title and description. 1955 D WASHINGTON SILVER QUARTERS GEM UNCIRCULATED 200 for sale individually | eBay

How should I proceed?

You did the right thing by accepting the refund and being done with it. For anyone familiar with the value of the item and Ebay listings it should be obvious that it was a innocent mistake on the sellers part.

Anyone familiar with Ebay should know the wording of the listing opens doors for all sorts of problems as a seller, regardless of the actual value of the item. Mistake... yes, innocent... cannot be determined by anyone other than the seller.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Looks like the seller edited his listing in title and description. 1955 D WASHINGTON SILVER QUARTERS GEM UNCIRCULATED 200 for sale individually | eBay

How should I proceed?

Anyone familiar with Ebay should know the wording of the listing opens doors for all sorts of problems as a seller, regardless of the actual value of the item. Mistake... yes, innocent... cannot be determined by anyone other than the seller.
I usually agree with you Dig's but I can determine it wasn't no accident by atleast 2 things with the auction.. he put 200 lot meaning with the wording all 200 for one price yet the shipping was only 75 cent? (red flag #1) then the buyer on here says it says more then 10 (red flag #2) if you ever see more then then you are bidding on a single item for that lot not the whole lot one price

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread