Fuse Boxes?

tanner

Dec 5, 2007

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freon released at normal atmospheric pressures will be colorless gas. DON'T BREATH IT. Hold your breath, cut a line, and walk away UP WIND. It won't take very long for the freon to empty from a window unit; a car system; a refrigerator, or freezer.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Fuse boxes;maybe some heavy brass terminals depending on size,age and type of box and some remains of wire. It won't hurt u unless its still connected to live power, so if it has a long cord attached dissapearing around the corner , then be extra careful.

A/C ; as the gas escapes it makes a noise like farting- when the noise stops its all gone to heaven and u won't get hurt Also don't touch it;your finger wont fall off like with liquid nitrogen but it could cause a mild frost/cold burn.

Do this so u can cut out all the copper pipe which pays about 20-30 times more than just a lump of mixed metal

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and the hole in the ozone layer gets larger everyday. that's ok, I'll be dead within 40 years (I think)and if I'm not, I won't care anyway.

pig, you gave me a great laugh about it having a large wire going around the corner. :thumbsup:

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davest said:
and the hole in the ozone layer gets larger everyday. that's ok, I'll be dead within 40 years (I think)and if I'm not, I won't care anyway.

pig, you gave me a great laugh about it having a large wire going around the corner. :thumbsup:

i've always wondered about that whole 'ozone hole' thing.
Freon is heavier than air. So, how is it that it floats aaaalll the way up there to make a hole? :)

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Your right, it is about 3 times denser than air, but gases have the property of being able to MIX together IN TIME. It doesn't fly up there like a balloon filled with helium.
Anyway ozone depletion by UV breaking down Freon type gases in the heavens is a theory
that has a lot of opponents / disbelievers myself being one of them.

Another thing; u can breath freon ok,it's completely harmless. The inventor took a deep breath of it and blew out a fire. But don't let it loose in a small enclosed room as u might suffocate from lack of oxy.

goldgrubber

Jan 26, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
I agree with Pigiron, mostly brass, if you can get your hands on any old breakers, breaker boxes, old bigger switches, any industrial type electrical components, tear the switches apart, all the contacts are silver or a silver mix. Also red and yellow brass inside.

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
yeah my friend is an electrician and he gives me the old breaker boxes and fuse boxes... if they have switches there will more than likely be silver contacts. Also there is copper left in most of the ones he gives me and copper is always worth saving.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Markmopar, yea the whole freon causing the hole in ozone layer thing is a hoax. When people climb mountains they have to take oxygen tanks with them because the air is too thin. What our government and the environmentalists won't acknowledge is that it is the jet airliners that are using up the ozone. Ozone replenishes itself though, so its all good.

spankster13

Apr 11, 2007
West By God Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DI5900
I can't believe you guys out of greed would just let the freon go!!!!! Let me know where you live so I can collect the $10,000 fine for turning you in. I guess some of you letter goers steal copper out of houses that are empty too !!!!

skippy

Greenie
Aug 2, 2007
At some point the freon will escape, it's just a matter of time, air conditioners eventually leak, etc.
Scrappers just hurry it up a bit. :)

I think its all good, as long as its use in new manufactured units is prohibited. Be careful though, last week when I chopped an AC I had a geyser of compressor oil because I cut the wrong tube first :o

arkhunter

Jun 12, 2006
little rock,arkansas
Detector(s) used
whites-garret
freon is harmless...just don't let any tree hugging idiot turn you in for the 10,000 fine

better yet find an a/c man to remove it for you....he can resell it for about 10.00 a pound

oh...to be correct...it is harmless...UNLESS you pull it through a burning cigarette ....making phosgene (sp?)gas/mustard gas from ww2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread