FYI on prizes for Pipsico hunt (repost)

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Just wanted to let everyone know the stats on the great donation for prizes and awards drive that the coordinators have been putting forth effort on.

OK, so far I have in my posession:
3 sets of really nice headphones (Garrett)
3 nice all purpose carrying bags (Garrett)
10 or more hats (Minelab)
10 or more coffee mugs (Minelab)
10 or more light up ink pens (Minelab)
80 or so coinholders (From me personally)
Bounty Hunter QuickDraw II (First Texas/Bounty Hunter)
Subscription to American Digger (American Digger Magazine)

Also

From TonyinCT at http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com:
A Lesche digging tool with sheath
Three shirts
A couple of coffee mugs and light up pens
A set of Vanco headphones
3 full sized books and a slew of small "pocket" books
A sand scoop digger
Several back issues of W&ET and Lost Treasures
A bottle of Nic-A-Tone
3 aprons
3 finds pouches
a ton of Garrett promo stuff

Verified being sent are:

A care package with an undetermined amount of goodies from Brian at http://www.southern-treasures.com
Backissues from W&ET magazine

Tesoro has said they are sending 3 tshirts, not verified for sure...

TheSentinel has been dealing with KellyCo, supposedly they are sending some goodies.

I also want to thank all the manufacturers, suppliers, magazine companies and distributors that have donated to our short notice requests. Your all tops and I recommend your products and companies!

We have been turned down by a few companies for various different reasons. Some want money, some want advertisements in national magazines, others said it is a bad time, try back next year. Not a big deal, we will get them next year with a longer notice of the hunt, plus I would like to see a club formed out of this hunt. That makes it alot easier to beg for donations.

Thanks everyone, and looking forward to giving all these prizes away (at least just getting them out of my living room!)

Side notes and observations

Everyone please see the rules and regulations for the hunt post here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,78315.0.html. I personally went out to Pipsico on Saturday myself (missed Ann by a few hours :().
There are many wonderful looking spots to dig at all over Surry and even on the backroads leading to the camp. Please stay within the boundries of the camp.
Number 1 all the spots are private property, and I'm not bailing you out of jail.
Number 2, lets set an example to the people of Surry. If we do right at the scout camp, then maybe we can garnish enough attention to get into some even sweeter spots in Surry (founded 1652!!!!).
Number 3, if your caught breaking the rules by one of the event coordinators you will be asked to leave with no prizes being awarded to you. Thems the rules.

Some things I noticed while at the camp.
Stay very aware of your surroundings. Especially in the woods and hills. I grew up around cliffs, and I can promise you, get near the cliff it will give away and you will have a very quick and painful trip down to the banks of the river, then I'll have to drag you all the way up a gravel road that is very steep... And I will hate you.
This is also the wilderness. More than some of you might be used to. Be aware of snakes and other animals that might harm you. Be aware of the ground. Some areas in the woods have holes that can easily twist an ankle, but are filled with leaves.
Don't eat any berries or anything that you forage from the woods unless it is verfied not to be poison. I know that sounds silly, but it can and has happened. You think drinking the water in Mexico is bad...
Be aware of the dig site, it is not very well marked off. I believe I will make some signs for that to point people away from that area.
The tents are nice, the little cabins are nice. Please keep them that way.

Also be cautious on the backroads that lead to the camp. Some of those people aren't used to seeing cars out there, and they drive too fast and all over the road, so be prepared to slow down to avoid head ons.

Last but not least, avoid eating yellow snow. I know it looks like a lemon snow cone, but that is not the case. ;D

Oh yeah, there is one other thing. Directions suck, anywhere you get them. Don't try to take Kings Hwy. There is a bridge out, and a huge detour.
Take 17 to 258, which turns into 10 out to Smithfield, then stay on truck 10, not business. This will run you all the way to Surry. Mucho easier.
258 will come to an interchange where you can only go left or right in Benns Church. Go right.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are many wonderful looking spots to dig at all over Surry and even on the backroads leading to the camp. Please stay within the boundries of the camp.
Number 1 all the spots are private property, and I'm not bailing you out of jail.

Hey Dave,

My grandfather was sheriff of Surry county Virginia and he owned a lot of property. How cool is that!

Of course, that was around 1710. I'm not kidding. Ethelred Taylor - he was my 5th or 6th great grandfather or something like that. I don't have my genealogy notes now. I'm going to check his will and see if we will be close to any landmarks mentioned.

I'm SURE this information and a $1.89 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

DCMatt

OP
OP
cryptodave

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
DCMatt said:

Hey Dave,

My grandfather was sheriff of Surry county Virginia and he owned a lot of property. How cool is that!

Of course, that was around 1710. I'm not kidding. Ethelred Taylor - he was my 5th or 6th great grandfather or something like that. I don't have my genealogy notes now. I'm going to check his will and see if we will be close to any landmarks mentioned.

I'm SURE this information and a $1.89 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

DCMatt

Actually, thats pretty cool Matt! Usually with an old family like that, you probably have some relatives that still live around there. Could turn out to be a good thing! ;)

I don't know if you have been out there to Surry, but it is God's country, very pretty but very wilderness also. Always reminds me that the settlers had some HUGE nads to do what they did!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, would it be too bold to say that you found your spots to hunt??? ;) ::) ;D

OP
OP
cryptodave

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
{Sentinel} said:
Dave, would it be too bold to say that you found your spots to hunt??? ;) ::) ;D

Maybe.... Lets just say that I have an idea of where not to go. Of course, I could tell you not to go there because I want to be there.... LOL

Just spoke to a guy who used to be a BS there back in the day. He said that along the beach you could find old iron and steel items from back when they loaded the cotton and what not on ships. He also said that if any of you have a water detector that the pilons for the old dock is still around there and you might find some goodies.

OP
OP
cryptodave

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
UPDATE

Spoke to Clyde at Relic Hunter Supply http://www.relichuntersupply.com/, he said he will be sending out a care package next week with some tshirts.
He has been a little behind due to his home getting some flooding, so everyone not only thank Clyde but wish him well and send some prayers too!

OP
OP
cryptodave

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
UPDATE

Care package from Brian at Southern Treasures http://www.southern-treasures.com/ arrived today!

12 treasure aprons
a nice hand held sand scoop
a garrett hat
a Whites logo travel mug
a carrying case
a few Whites branded items such as chip clips and bottle openers
a treasure pouch
a whole slew of ink pens
.... and a Sherlock DTS-Pro pinpointer (very nice pinpointer of a type that I have personal experience with! Works super well!)

THANKS BRIAN AND SOUTHERN TREASURES!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I personnally would like to say THANK YOU to all those "sponsors" who were kind and generous to donate to our hunt. Ya'll are the best!!!!!!

To Clyde (Relic Hunter)...our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours at this time. We hope things get back to some normalacy soon.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man this hunt sound like a hoot!!!!!! 8)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes most likely for Best Find, maybe for another 'Title'. It will be very nice though. ;)

OP
OP
cryptodave

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
UPDATE

New prize rcvd today.

Virginia Atlas and Gazetteer book from DeLorme. It has detailed Topo maps that can be of great use to treasure hunters in VA, and its going to be given away for one lucky attendee!

3 MORE WEEKS!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread