dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought some of you folks would like to see this button I just dug from the South Carolina Low Country the other day. Me and three digging buds were hunting a hayfield that had given up a few eagle buttons and old coins. It's a place that's been pounded for 20 years but not long after we got there I dug an 1890-O Morgan dollar so I knew it wasn't totally hunted out :laughing7: Then I got a signal that read around 32 on the F-75. That kind of number usually ends up being a buck shot or some other small piece of junk but to my surprise it turned out to be an eagle coat button that got hit by the plow. Then about five feet away I get a 27 reading and out comes a little bitty button. I could just make out a shield on it but not much else. One of my buds was nearby and looked at it and we thought it might be a one piece Navy cuff or something but after it started to dry out a little I saw the G and could make out the eagle a bit better. That's when I alerted the boys that a GW had just been dug! It was near the end of the day so we were all digging every little blip that even tried to act like a signal but nothing else was found. This button is an Alberts WI23 but in an unlisted 14mm cuff size. These have just recently been discovered and are all being dug in the same general area as this one came from. This makes the fourth one I know of but the other three are all silver plated, so this one, as far as I know, is the only one in gold gilt. Now I've dug and cleaned hundreds of coins and buttons over the last 20+ years but I was actually scared when it came to working on this one. I started off with the hot peroxide method but it didn't do anything to help so I broke out the aluminum jelly and camel hair brush. A few finishing touches with a toothpick and here is the end result. Thanks for looking, Dave in SC

Attachments

• wi237.jpg
    wi237.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 499
Upvote 39
OP
OP
dsinsc

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• wi23b1.jpg
    wi23b1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 128
  • wi238.jpg
    wi238.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button, and I know exactly what you mean about having lots of experience cleaning but catching some nerves for the championship game. My better buttons the process was fairly obvious, but in 2009 I found a pretty rare token that had me thinking I don't want to mess this up! Fortunately my result ended up as good as yours, and I look forward to fighting for the title again. :) (sadly GW buttons are in a division too far South of me so it will be a belt I never get a shot at)

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Marty, Your in luck, I always take before pictures incase something goes terribly wrong :) Behold the wonders of the magic jelly

That's how my buttons looked. No guts no glory!

OP
OP
dsinsc

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No guts no glory sums it up pretty nicely IP. Some could be satisfied with a crusty rare item but a real man will always go for the gusto :laughing7:

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dsinsc said:
Thanks Marty, Your in luck, I always take before pictures incase something goes terribly wrong :) Behold the wonders of the magic jelly

I tried aluminum jelly for the first time on a gilt eagle button I found. That stuff really works great for bringing that gilt back! Congrats on the find of a lifetime! Banner for sure!

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude that is one awesome button!!! I've dug a ton of Colonial era flat buttons and very seldom have any of them had ANYTHING on the front, I'd pee my pants if I found one like that. Great find and a super big congratulations!! Banner vote here. HH.

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Holy Moly, Aluminum Jelly seems like the ticket, were do you get it and what brand? I have some old buttons I would like to try it on. Your button is one of the BEST finds I have EVER seen on here.
Marty

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What an awesome button.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NJ Marty said:
Holy Moly, Aluminum Jelly seems like the ticket, were do you get it and what brand? I have some old buttons I would like to try it on. Your button is one of the BEST finds I have EVER seen on here.
Marty

I got mine from Ace Hardware

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen this type posted here before, must be a good sign. CONGRATS!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one heck of a nice recovery. Would look nice up top!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, anytime it's not one of the usual two we see it gets your attention.
I'm still working at finding one of those "usual two". I need to add some Aluminum Jelly to my cleaning arsenal as well.
Nick

olas13

Oct 12, 2004
Rhode Island,USA
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 2,minelab sov., whites surfmaster. tesoro.equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow great find! good job.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still working at finding one of those "usual two". I need to add some Aluminum Jelly to my cleaning arsenal as well.
Nick

Most are, but the fact is we rarely see the different ones pop up. One of these days someone will either post one that's a new discovery, or something near as crazy like only 1 example known. I just hope for their sake it's in excellent condition so they can collect that big pile of many thousands.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the nicest GW button I've ever seen.....this is my new favorite GW button....very cool type ! .... banner !

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely a BANNER button. Great find and excellent job with the cleaning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread