dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought some of you folks would like to see this button I just dug from the South Carolina Low Country the other day. Me and three digging buds were hunting a hayfield that had given up a few eagle buttons and old coins. It's a place that's been pounded for 20 years but not long after we got there I dug an 1890-O Morgan dollar so I knew it wasn't totally hunted out :laughing7: Then I got a signal that read around 32 on the F-75. That kind of number usually ends up being a buck shot or some other small piece of junk but to my surprise it turned out to be an eagle coat button that got hit by the plow. Then about five feet away I get a 27 reading and out comes a little bitty button. I could just make out a shield on it but not much else. One of my buds was nearby and looked at it and we thought it might be a one piece Navy cuff or something but after it started to dry out a little I saw the G and could make out the eagle a bit better. That's when I alerted the boys that a GW had just been dug! It was near the end of the day so we were all digging every little blip that even tried to act like a signal but nothing else was found. This button is an Alberts WI23 but in an unlisted 14mm cuff size. These have just recently been discovered and are all being dug in the same general area as this one came from. This makes the fourth one I know of but the other three are all silver plated, so this one, as far as I know, is the only one in gold gilt. Now I've dug and cleaned hundreds of coins and buttons over the last 20+ years but I was actually scared when it came to working on this one. I started off with the hot peroxide method but it didn't do anything to help so I broke out the aluminum jelly and camel hair brush. A few finishing touches with a toothpick and here is the end result. Thanks for looking, Dave in SC

Attachments

• wi237.jpg
    wi237.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 499
Upvote 39

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So glad to see this on the banner!

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dream find for sure... CONGRATS!! :occasion14:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go on finding 'ole George!' The cleaning job is fantastic too. Congratulations :) Breezie

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave that is one killer button!

Greg

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super awesome find! Congrats!!!!

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow congrats on that GW button!!!!

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on an absolutely beautiful button. Great job on the cleaning as well.

Russ

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find...I have not been on tnet in a long time but im sure the finds through out those months have been fantastic!!! But i will say this, its great to pop on and see a message from one of my long time favorite people here on tnet. Then see this great find up on the Banner list! Congrats on a fantastic find..... Keep on Digging!!

The Seeker

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
now that is one gorgeous button Dave! way to go dude!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Fantastic Find! Congrats on the Banner....nge is it possible to dig any buttons like that in upstate N.Y.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread