G2 coil air depth tests:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
So your still kicking around there lucky...............I would like to know that also ... i am thinking of geting a G2 or Gold Bug pro also................

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I'm still in and out but I got tired of the brand-loyals with tunnel-vision, so I decided to refrain from posting. What's been going on with yourself?

BTW, I had a GB Pro in my hands the other day and that 5" coil gets 10" air on a copper penny. I understand the 11"DD is a monster for depth and so is the 5"x10", and then I got curious about the new 15" coil coming up for it.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The G2 or Fisher Gold Bug DP don't shine on air tests. They are known for very quiet operation especially in heavy iron or trashy areas. AMAZING detectors in iron. Best I have ever used. The dual processors really preform well in these units.

Feel free to give me a call with questions or for a great deal. Love to help you! Bart

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LuckyLarry said:
Yeah I'm still in and out but I got tired of the brand-loyals with tunnel-vision, so I decided to refrain from posting. What's been going on with yourself?

BTW, I had a GB Pro in my hands the other day and that 5" coil gets 10" air on a copper penny. I understand the 11"DD is a monster for depth and so is the 5"x10", and then I got curious about the new 15" coil coming up for it.
Same old thing going on with me.....I still get some upset by saying what i think about there brand of detector ....... Yes that tunnel vision is bad here ............ I hear good things about the GB Pro and G2 ............ I think i will pick one of them up ..... I guess it does not matter what one i get .. I hear they are the same detector with different names..........

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I have heard that they are the same, but I've also read here and there that the latest G2 has had a little bit of extra (minor) factory tweaking. Lawrenzo really likes it and he had a GB or G2 video out that I can't seem to find any more. THE GB I had in my hands most certainly worked well when I played with it and it's threshold was easy to tune gradually, unlike some other detectors. I've got about 25 different detectors and most of them work while a few are old or used for parts. I may sell my CZ-70 but never in two light ears will I sell my old Compasses, they work to well and still get great depth. My Compass R&C (GoldScanner Pro) gets 4" to 6" on a BB sized nugget and it is the only one I've seen that matches the GB and G2 in that regard. Let me know what you hear and I'll do the same for you.

EasyMoney

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LuckyLarry said:
Well, I have heard that they are the same, but I've also read here and there that the latest G2 has had a little bit of extra (minor) factory tweaking. Lawrenzo really likes it and he had a GB or G2 video out that I can't seem to find any more. THE GB I had in my hands most certainly worked well when I played with it and it's threshold was easy to tune gradually, unlike some other detectors. I've got about 25 different detectors and most of them work while a few are old or used for parts. I may sell my CZ-70 but never in two light ears will I sell my old Compasses, they work to well and still get great depth. My Compass R&C (GoldScanner Pro) gets 4" to 6" on a BB sized nugget and it is the only one I've seen that matches the GB and G2 in that regard. Let me know what you hear and I'll do the same for you.

EasyMoney
OK if any thing comes up on that or i see or hear any thing i will get back to you.......................... keppy

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
THANKS KEPPY.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
My G2 with stock coil only whispers on a dime at 10" in air test, which means ground noises might cause me to miss it. But the ground here is moderately mineralized & my lifetime records on deepest coins are 7".

My 5"+ deep dime slightly tilted is pretty loud with ID dime or zinc.

I've seen claims the T2SE or LTD goes several inches deeper? But is there really a way to dig a 15" deep hole in a park or schoolyard that wouldn't result in arrest or hobby being banned? Probably at least great detectors for beach, plowed fields or woods, but on manicured grass?

Right now of the dozen detectors I own & the few dozen owned previously, the Teknetics G2 & Garrett AT Pro are my favorites. I've not used the over $1,000 models. Best wishes, George (MN)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
George (MN) said:
I've seen claims the T2SE or LTD goes several inches deeper? But is there really a way to dig a 15" deep hole in a park or schoolyard that wouldn't result in arrest or hobby being banned? Probably at least great detectors for beach, plowed fields or woods, but on manicured grass?
Yes i agree with you to go to a park or schoolyard and dig finds at 15 inches or even 11 inches could be a problem for the digger.............. With all the different detectors i have used over the years i really don't think i found a coin size object deeper than 8 inches............

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought my first detector back in about 1972, and it found coins at 2" in the ground. I built my first one in 1974, and it did likewise. Then I bought a Garrett Deepseeker and it would find corroded pennies at 10", in high salt/high black sand beaches. Nothing I have used since that time, regardless of which brand, which model, multi-frequency, single, PI, or anything for that matter - has ever outdone that old Garrett relic for depth. And yes, it was in all-metal.

When I hear people say things like "I dug a penny or dime at 12", or 15", etc, in high iron red clay soil", all I can do is shake my head and read something more rational, like "UFO's are landing Tomorrow". One guy got really angry at me (and others too) because we didn't believe his Minelab Explorer found a clad quarter at 42"!

The best depth I've seen in the really nasty soil in the last (20) years is a CZ3D or CZ-70 @ 8". The best I've (ever) seen is the old VLF Deepseeker @ 10", but that was 37 years ago. The best I've seen in almost zero mineralized (sawdust) soil since then is 10". I have never in all my life seen more than 2" difference in coin ground depth of ANY detector in average ground, regardless of brand, type, or cost of the detector. All I can say is that sometimes detectorists have some really big imaginations, or they are......?

BTW, for what it's worth, LowBoy was using an AT Pro trying it out, sold it, and overwhelmingly prefers the G2. LowBoy KNOWS what he is doing too. His videos can be found on You Tube.

LL

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LL............. When i see how deep some say there detector will go on coins ............. I will not respond to those post's for they always get upset with me............. But then all treasure hunters are dreamer's ........... So then i just think that is in there dream's there detector's gets that much depth........ Yes and lowboy does put out good videos on youtube....... But then if you want to use monster size coils on your detector you will get a little more depth.....

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I know Keppy. It's kinda' funny sometimes though, isn't it?

I like the MXT, even though it DOES LOVE pulltabs, and I realize that it's noisy as all heck in trash and high Fe soil too, but the v3 isn't as noisy, goes a little deeper, and I like it too. The v3 costs too much for my tastes though, and it's still not as quiet as the G2 and GBP, which (both) cost a whole lot less - and require such as shorter learning curve. Gaining 1/2" in ground with the higher-priced detectors doesn't make any sense to me at all, so I'm zeroing in on the FT mid-priced, nearly ideal aforementioned FT duo. As a second place though I'm having trouble deciding between the Omega 8000 and Tesoro Vaquero. I'll keep my cz-70 until Hades freezes over though, and my Compass R&C too.

Some of those videos are amusing, with one guy stating "none of this whipping back and forth (cxxp)", and I wonder if he (or they) have ever used a detector before. I run at full throttle because my preference in detectors works better that way, and I've got strong hands and arms for an old goat and I can still snatch a 120 lb barbell with one hand.

The videos give us a rough guide, just like air depth tests do, but some of those videos are almost a joke, especially the one where the guy scans the G2 with gold rings at about 6 inches per second. Only a feeble 90+ yr old man would scan that slowly.

The GB Pro seems to calling me though, and I'll have to bring a couple of ore samples with me to test the Vaquero against the Omega. I'm in no hurry though, I'm more concerned about my best decision than I am about getting one in my hot hands. Good wine takes time.

LL

minerjoe

Nov 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
ZED,2300,4500,t2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see what you guys are saying about air tests but thats just not what i think shows what the detector is capable of. I have found quarters at over ten inches, no joke, but i dont have a dang mearsuring tape with me. I work really hard ground with lots of andesite and black sand. I dont run the T2 at more than 82, and all metal mode with gray ghost headphones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread