Game: friend says you can take anything from house before it is tore down.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
This is a game. You have a pickup and a trailer. Your buddy calls up and says that his house is condemned and will be demolished by the city in the morning. You can take anything from the house for scrap metal. The house is furnished, do you take the fridge or leave it? Do you invest the time to tear into the walls to get the copper wiring or wil that take too long? The power, gas and water were shut off long ago. Tell us what you would do step by step. You don't have any help, but you have most normal tools at your disposal.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appliances can be moved quick and easy. I probably wouldn't bother with wall wiring unless I had a lot of time. I'd go after copper piping, aluminum siding, gutters and window/door frames. Maybe heater ducting and equipment. If there is an oil tank, drain and sell/use the oil.

mnplumberman

Greenie
Jan 1, 2008
I think I would start with the highest value items that required the least amount of demolition to remove, i.e. visible copper pipe, appliances. If there was an unfinished basement you could chase the electrical wires from the breaker box and get plenty of copper wire without having to tear into any walls. You could also get some copper wire by going in the attic.

Next I would go after all the items I could quickly chop up or remove with a recip. saw or sledge hammer.
Cast iron sinks and bathtubs, Faucets, steel drain pipes, boiler, furnace, ac unit

If it was an older house, I would take any old light fixtures, solid core doors, trim, or any other vintage pieces that can be easily removed and have value for antiques/remodels/restorations.

If I still had time, I would break into the walls in the bathrooms and kitchen to get any copper pipes in the walls. Then I would start at an outlet or light switch and chase the electrical wires.

If I really had a chance like this, I would be moving so fast there wouldn't be anything left come sunrise.

Oh yeah, I would also make sure to do a search for any jars full of silver coins!!!

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
The house was built in 1925 and it has a new addition built in 1964. It is suffering from extensive termite damage.

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
I think I would scan the house quick and go for the fast cash first. large appliances and wires of everything, furnace, ac unit. Stack the truck with the bigger stuff first.

Then I would go for the copper. Starting from the water meter and bust the walls to the sinks and where every they go.

check the drawers of everything for any stashes, cabinets, heat registers, any boxes

gather all the silverware and pots and pans (usually stainless or aluminum) Hopefully some silver.

look in the garage for tools and other heavy metals, buckets of fasteners

If the wires look silver and not copper being an old home I would concentrate on those.

next anything with motors or brass .... fans, door hinges & knobs, bathroom fixtures. sinks

if the magnet doesn't stick to it, take that next.
last the little steel tins stuff, chair legs, knick knacks... remember to fill any steel file cabinet and the washer and dryer with the little stuff.

of course anything that is of interest I would take as well

I agree with mnplumberman, I would move quick, pack a lunch and take some energy drinks and toilet paper. If there was that much good stuff I would stay all nite and probably call off of work to sleep the next day.

also if the floors are wood and you have time, run through with the metal detector ... maybe some coins are hidden in the floor boards!

let us know how you do and good luck, hope we helped
Rumblebelly

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
If there were any good old ceiling lamps and doors in the old part of the house, I would remove those with all of the hardware first for resale. Then I would go into the attic and remove all of the electrical wiring and toss it out one of the vent openings. Then I would go to the basement and start cutting the copper pipes, tossing them out the basement window. Then I would go up to the kitchen and remove the stove and dishwasher. Then I would go to the laundry room and remove the washer, dryer, and water heater. Next I would remove any newer ceiling fans and lamps and take them out to the trailer for scrap. Then I would remove whatever copper piping was on that floor. Then I would go and remove the sink and bathtub assuming they are both metal. Next I would go outside and remove the aluminum windows. I would take the ones with cracked glass into the house and break out the rest of the glass. The intact ones would be resold rather than being scrapped. Next, I would remove the metal ducting for the furnace. If there was any time left, I would start punching holes in the walls looking for the copper wiring, snipping as I go.

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
the wiring would be pretty easy......undo all of the plugs and switches and start pulling the wire....should come right out with a little effort

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Max out the insurance then have an accident. Pick up the copper and brass as well as any cast iron.Even the alum will still be there just different looking. :icon_jokercolor:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread