Garrett 1500 vs Whites DFX

stimeygraves

Sep 18, 2009
Maryville Tennessee
Detector(s) used
whites DFX with a sun ray DX-1 probe, whites eclipse 950, 4x7 excelerator, 6x8 SEF, 10x12 SEF and 12x15 SEF coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think the DFX will outperform the garrett 1500, is it that much better of a detector. Iam just not that happy with my 1500. My buddy has a ace 250 and seems like I do just as good with it. Even with my 12.5 inch coil all I get is 5 maybe 6 inches at the most for anything. I can find coins with my 5 inch excelerator coil at 5 inches. Looks like my imaging coils would go deeper and I get lots of false readings with them that drives me crazy. I keep reading here that other people have depth problems with the 1500, so maybe it not just me. Not just worried about depth,I want better ID and performance.Would love to here some input on this. Thanks.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both and think the DFX is better. It appears also to be deeper, but that isn't the important part. Having a detector that you can set all the variables any way you want for the type hunting you want to do is important. The Garrett is supposed to have automatic GB, but does it really? I just don't have the confidence in the 1500 I once did when I bought it. Confidence is everything. If the girl friend looks you up and down and starts to laugh, how do you feel ????????????? :laughing7:

Detector manufactures must make the detectors as idiot proof as possible and these days it seems that is getting harder to do. They also must produce many different types for various jobs. Can you believe that even the color of the unit affects how well it sells.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
If the girl friend looks you up and down and starts to laugh, how do you feel ????????????? :laughing7:

Ummmm.....like the jokes on her ;D

DAVID@RT6DETECTORS

Dec 6, 2007
Maryville, Tenn
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Quest Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAD A GTI 2500 WHICH IS ALMOST THE SAME AS 1500, AND I COULD FIND STUFF TO AROUND FIVE INCHES AND THAT WAS IT. I TRADED IT FOR A DFX. I THINK IT IS MUCH BETTER. I LIKE THE MINELAB EXPLORER SE THE BEST. 8)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I am on my second 1500 and it has the same problems as my first it does not get the depth i think it should . I don't even use it and it is only 1 1/2 years old my other one i had for about 8 years. I sent it back to garrett 4 times with depth problems. And it never did get any better my Ace 250 did just as good as my 1500. My 1500 now not good on depth so i will just stick with Minelab never had any problem with them they go deep....................I will probably put my 1500 up for sale i had no confidence in my old one and now i have no confidence in this one................

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,066
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,053

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
I think when you read guns like the ones that have replied to your question it throws the cat among the pigeons..myself I still want to beleive in my gti but the replies leave me in doubt..the thing is to me isI want the best as I love m/ding..and thought I had one...the t2 ltd is gonna be my next one very shortly...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Des from down under said:
I think when you read guns like the ones that have replied to your question it throws the cat among the pigeons..myself I still want to beleive in my gti but the replies leave me in doubt..the thing is to me isI want the best as I love m/ding..and thought I had one...the t2 ltd is gonna be my next one very shortly...
I know what you mean i had a Ace 250 and it got the same depth as both my GTI 1500 don't want to put a rain cloud over you. I started useing Garret's about 1980 had a Freedom 2 Coin Commander best detector i ever had .Then in 1992 started useing Minelab's All i have is Garrett and Minelab now. Tried Fisher & Whites did not like them tried a Compass did not like it . I will stick with minelab the Sovereign love that detector and will always keep a Garrett on hand.

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro
You really cant compare the two because the GTI 1500 is a discrimination machine, the DFX has all metal mode, the GTI 1500 does not, so it will not detect as deep. However the GTI 2500 will be better comparison to the DFX as it has the all metal mode and will punch deep. It images, show depth/size, easier to use than DFX. My money is on the 2500.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bearkat said:
You really cant compare the two because the GTI 1500 is a discrimination machine, the DFX has all metal mode, the GTI 1500 does not, so it will not detect as deep. However the GTI 2500 will be better comparison to the DFX as it has the all metal mode and will punch deep. It images, show depth/size, easier to use than DFX. My money is on the 2500.

I've read many posts over the years either talking good or bad about all-metal mode, yet in 10 years of deteting, and hunting with many people, I've yet to see a single person use it for even 5 minutes! I also don't recall reading too many posts or people using it, nor do I see much of an advantage, just something that wastes time.

The 1500 I thought was ok but there are some things I don't like about it. An XLT or DFX never had my interest because I've always had the impression there are too many settings and that can keep a person guessing to what works best. Regardless, once I had a few months on my explorer my detector debating was over.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett has never had a reputation as being really deep. They are very solid dependable detectors.

I do use all-metal mode when hunting tot lots, and I do use Mixed-Mode(all-metal and motion) on my DFX in most locations, but I can't think of any other time when using all-metal would be practical.

If you want deep it would be the Minelabs.
If you want flexibility it would be Whites.
If you want simple it would be Tesoro.

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro
The all metal mode in the 2500 is very deep. I cant believe lots of you havent even met someone that uses that mode. I use it almost all the time. Not in parks as much or in town. But I hunt alot in the woods while relic/nugget hunts and let me tell ya the all metal mode in the GTI 2500 is deep and very effective where there isnt alot of trashy targets. Other than that when I detect in a park or school or in town, disc mode is the way to go.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only time I use All-Metal on my DFX is in mixed mode in tot lots. In mixed mode you get both the motion discrimination and the non-motion all-metal at the same time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread