Garrett Ace 250 or Tesoro Silver Umax

cstraiton

Sep 29, 2009
Flatwoods, Kentucky
I know this has been a common question, but here it goes. First off, I'm new to treasure hunting and this forum. I'm looking into buying my first detector. I live in North East Kentucky and I will be using it for coins and relics. I'm not too sure what the soil is like up here, but I know there are a lot of coal mines around the area as well as a lot of rocks in the soil. I have a budget of $300.00 or less and was looking at both the Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Silver Umax. Which one would be better for my area and my purpose? Thanks in advance for your help.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
IMO Any Tesoro is a far better detector than the ACE250 and it has a good lifetime warranty. It will probably detect deeper than the 250 in your dirt. The 250 has a " bell tone" that dings after it passes the target, I find this very irritating.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AUDuke said:
IMO Any Tesoro is a far better detector than the ACE250 and it has a good lifetime warranty. It will probably detect deeper than the 250 in your dirt. The 250 has a " bell tone" that dings after it passes the target, I find this very irritating.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

If the soil is heavily mineralized, cst will probably want something with a manual ground balance.

The best thing cst can do is find out how mineralized the soil is by asking other hunters in his area.

OP
OP
cstraiton

cstraiton

Sep 29, 2009
Flatwoods, Kentucky
Cool, that's kinda the way I was leaning. You can't beat the tesoro's lifetime warranty. I know that online everyone pretty much has the same prices on the Silver Umax, but do these things ever go on sale? Does anyone offer a good package with the 10x12 coil? Joe, you seem to be the resident expert dealer. What can you do for me on a new Silver Umax? You can PM me as to not reveal your secrets.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Each one has a place . I have the ACE with the Excelerator 10x14 Coil I use it in parks alot.
I also have a tesoro Silver that I use for the relics and Silver in more remote spots. :coffee2:

Cobalt*Blue

Oct 9, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Bounty Hunter 3300 w/4" coil
Look at the Cibola if you can go to $340 (that includes tax and shipping). I was looking at the Silver and Cibola and went with the Cibola. The Silver is an excellent choice as well. The 9X8 coil and the ability to supertune has me down deep enough that no other coil is wanted. Very stable detector in my New England soils. hh blue

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I am not sold on Garrett but I am sold on Tesoro. They are good deep machines and very simple to operate.

I am not trying to sell Ebay. However, on Ebay you can get an idea of what you should be paying for a new detector. The $340 pricetag for the Tesoro is with the allowed Tesoro 20% discount. No Tesoro dealer can sell a detector for more than 20% discount or their license is pulled by Tesoro. If you will go to Ebay you will find numerous new Cibola's for $340, these are new machines and Ebay keeps the prices down. Believe me there are plenty of dealers who would charge you the full retail price of about $425 without blinking an eye, while taking you hard earned cash.

Back to Tesoro and Garrett. The Garrett's are kind of funky machines. A few years back they had a machine that talked to you. Now the Ace 250 with all kinds of add-ons, but when you are out there detecting and run into other detectorists, or go to club meetings, you don't see any Garrett.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread