Garrett Ace 150 vs. Tesoro Compadre

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well vote compadre. I'd vote compadre over the Ace350 I just sold.
Now the newer ace machines seem to be faster and more responsive as far as separation, but my ace350 and I didn't get along. If I cant put two quarters 4" apart and get 2 tones out of it when swinging over them one after the other, then I have no use for the machine. My compadres can hit each coin that are practically on top of each other, the disc unit allows me to beep on a coin with foil on top of it when I disc out foil.
Don't want to anger anyone but I'd take my compadre over almost any machine (besides another Tesoro maybe) up to about the $300 range. Above that the makers allowed some features and qualities to make it enjoyable.

But in conclusion, compadre all the way.
Not to mention it will hit small gold that no other machines I've seen can without costing $1500.
I love my compadres and even though I run my Nokta relic and soon racer 2, I love taking them out for their unbelievable separation, discrimination circuit, and simplicity. I'll never get rid of them.

I am partial to Tesoro if you see my list to the left
But swing one and youll see why I hope.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having used both, there is no contest. The Compadre is so much more effective that it is not even in the same class as the Ace 150. Lighter, more powerful, deeper (8" coil), better discrimination, and MUCH more user friendly. :skullflag:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant no disrespect by the way. I hope my opinion didn't come off that way.

But even the ace 350 isn't in the same class. As said above the newer ace units seem to be much faster as far as recovery, but I don't think they are anywhere near a tesoro for discrimination or recovery. Compadre is a wonderful machine.
In my opinion the best bang for your buck in all the world of detectors.
I have both versions. 5.75 is a lot lighter and seems to be set hotter than my 8, but the 8 is wonderful too. A bit heavier from the coil being bigger, but still feather light.
There's a reason the umax models don't have the Velcro strap on the arm cuff, you don't need them.
For the price and the performance you get, nothing can touch the compadre. I will always keep them no matter what I buy later.

Hope this helps.

rob0260

Apr 4, 2014
I have both the Ace 250 and the Compadre and the Compadre is far superior. Better discrimination, more sensitive, nicer tone, and way more fun. My Ace has not seen any use since I aquired my Compadre.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread