Garrett ace 250 goes crazy

scuffler

Jul 23, 2007
I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience, I was detecting in a pasture thats supposed to be an old home stead, and my garrett ace 250 just started beeping like crazy and the display kept going all over from one end to the other, I even lifted it into the air away from the ground and it would not quit doing this erratic behavior. Hopefully someone else will know what this means. There were no power lines or anything around to cause this that I could tell.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I've had that happen with my Infinium LS and it was that the battery voltage was too low. I've had it happen with my DFX and it was an electric fence that switched on.

Daryl

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have had that happen to me as well....in my own front yard, on the beach, even when we were camping at Pipscio.....

I know the problem was some piping and electrical lines in the front yard (some days are better than others...wierd huh?)...in other words, I can detect the front yard, no problem, but other days, my detector goes nutso!!! Don't know if maybe the weather is a factor sometimes....even though those days were clear and cool.

But it happened at the beach one time with BRAND NEW BATTERIES...never did figure that out...don't know what was in that sand...couldn't detect it to find out without the detector going nutso...but the last time, I was low on batteries ;)

OP
OP
S

scuffler

Jul 23, 2007
Hmm, the batteries are new, my buddy using a older garrett gt 350 had no problems at all, I was an ace 250 fan, but with this happening i'm starting to have my doubts, I mean I cant make it stop when it goes crazy. Can't Garrett make a metal detector that just does it's job?

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I had the same problem on a lake beach.had a a lot of black sand it went nuts!!!!!!

Unfortunately the sen and ground balance is semi fixed.I had to upgrade.

Battery could be a sign. I think the ground you were at, was somehow littered with mineralized soil?

carpetbagger

Sep 4, 2006
Rock Hill S.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Whites XLT / Garrett Ace 250
Exact thing happed to me several times. And I was not near any power lines, above or under ground. That would be great if someone could explain.

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Sounds like what my BH was doing. I got the coil wet (it was waterproof) and apparently it leaked and shorted out or something. I had to send back the coil and control box to be fixed. The new coil was calibrated to the unit and sent back to me. The coil was replaced free of charge.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
All detectors will experience some sort of interference at some point in time. Check your cable connections and batteries. :)

As far as mineralized soil goes, just turn down the sensitivity until the chatter goes away.

OP
OP
S

scuffler

Jul 23, 2007
I'm not sure all of you guys understand, this is not chatter, the thing literally goes crazy, it beeps uncontrollabley and the indicators for depth and type of item goes all over and it wont quit even on a restart. Then finally if you leave it off long enough it will act normal.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Defective!!! I bet there's a hum to it to when you turn it on..

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
scuffler said:
I'm not sure all of you guys understand, this is not chatter, the thing literally goes crazy, it beeps uncontrollabley and the indicators for depth and type of item goes all over and it wont quit even on a restart. Then finally if you leave it off long enough it will act normal.

The bounty hunters I have do the same thing. Check the connections and the batteries. And then just for kicks, try putting a bit of cardboard behind the battery to really make a good connection on the other end.

Was it dropped at any point in time? If so, the springlike connectors the battery pushes on may be bent. Shimming with the cardboard can help.

If you try all of these things and it still does it, send it in on warranty. Call Garrett first, and they will give you a list of things to check first, I imagine.

OP
OP
S

scuffler

Jul 23, 2007
Thanks Jeffro, I will try it. It is a frustrating problem.
Happy hunting.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Ace 250 does it once in a while, batteries are usually the culprit, unless there is something wicked bizarre under ground where I'm detecting. Could be something else. It's a good detector, I guess any of them can go nuts from time to time. Does it do it no matter where you hunt with it? Are you using really good, all new, high end alkaline batteries? Don't use some happy-slappy-crappy batteries, and no matter how big they write HEAVY DUTY on the package, they ain't.

Hollar,
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And also, where do you keep the sensitivity set? I rarely set mine above 4 notches on the screen, going higher can make it act up depending on the ground I'm hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread