scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I have seen many new members asking about a good starter detector, and many members on here commenting about there Ace 250, I have finally seen one up close and personal, I have to add my two cents. So I am detecting a guys yard when his neighbor comes over and introduces himself and watches me detect for awhile. He then says that he has a detector and invited me to come to his yard that he has hunted to death, he claimed. I went to his yard and started looking around with my V3i, he returns with the trusty 250 in hand. First impression was that it looked cheap, I mean toyish cheap. Then as I am looking he states that all he ever found was beer tabs. I found 10 coins in about 20 minutes, while he found nothing. He got so discouraged that he told me to keep on looking, but he knew he wasn't even in my class. He stayed and watched for a little longer then went back in the house. He even got me permission to hunt his mothers yard next door.

As far as what I could see, he couldn't make heads or tells out of the random bell tones that he was hearing. If I found a signal that I thought was a coin, I would call him over and let him scan it before I dug it. Only about 4 out of ten did he even get a response. Vice versa all of the signals he found, mine showed them as trash or were completely discrimed out as iron. That detector was annoying as hell to listen to. I wouldn't give $50 bucks for one of those much less $250. If you are over the age of 12 you will be doing yourself a disservice buying a 250. Mind you I am not bashing them just to be, I really respect Garrett as a brand, but don't fall for this trap. And if that's all that you can afford get a cheap Tesoro or Whites. Or better yet save your money another year and get a $500 plus machine. If I had started with one of these I can promise you that I would not be detecting today. You get what you pay for.

Ps- I love my Garrett Pro Pointer! Not brand bashing.\
Pss- I found 3 quarters, 3 dimes, 5 wheat, and 9 copper/zincs. Have not got to the backyard yet.

Upvote 0

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
this on how good the ace is for u.
Went out to a spot where my buddy went with his ace when I first started. Now I'm using my safari, I get an amazing signal I dig and out pops a 1837 LC. He took his ace over this spot a few times and never rang up on his ace.

I guess I'm gonna have to go back over every spot we hit with aces and get what we missed.

Well I sure hope that your $1000 machine would go deeper and work better than a $200 machine...........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
This makes no sense who would not upgrade from ANY detector they had if they have the $$$$
.... Your wrong........I have the money and i use a Garrett AT Pro and a Minelab Sovereign......You know the Sovereign will beat the crap out of your high priced detectors.......... i have had every Soverign model they made have been using them sinse 1992 ......... I now have the Sovereign GT i only paid $600.00 for it....... It will run circles around your Explores , E Trak , and 3030.......... It will also do the same to the Whites V detectors......... I have been using Garrett detectors sinse the 80's ... I have had the 250 and the 1500 i think they are a good detector........ High priced does not mean better it just means i like to brag.......

Last edited:

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
.... Your wrong........I have the money and i use a Garrett AT Pro and a Minelab Sovereign......You know the Sovereign will beat the crap out of your high priced detectors.......... i have had every Soverign model they made have been using them sinse 1992 ......... I now have the Sovereign GT i only paid $600.00 for it....... It will run circles around your Explores , E Trak , and 3030.......... It will also do the same to the Whites V detectors......... I have been using Garrett detectors sinse the 80's ... I have had the 250 and the 1500 i think they are a good detector........ High priced does not mean better it just means i like to brag.......

SOOO if you had the spare $$ to spend on a OKM eXp 5000 .... you would stick with the Sovereign is what you are saying........

krbtrans

Greenie
May 4, 2011
People have to start somewhere and as far as price its a pretty dang good machine. It just takes time to learn. Im glad to hear you may have a better machine. But act a little more professional as a detectorist. People are truly sad.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
People have to start somewhere and as far as price its a pretty dang good machine. It just takes time to learn. Im glad to hear you may have a better machine. But act a little more professional as a detectorist. People are truly sad.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Just upgraded to the AT PRO, yes it is finding a ton of stuff the 250 missed but it is alot harder to set up and figure out for a guerrilla like me. The 250 will be staying in the stable as a back up/ borrow if someone wants to go with me machine.

BootySnacher

Jun 16, 2013
Beautiful Ohio
Detector(s) used
MineLabs CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading this thread for about an hour now. You guys are funny. Nobody has mentioned a ML CTX3030. I just bought one today. The last time I metal detected was about 32 years ago. I just decided to get back into it and I have no true experience. Any thing I should know about the CTX 3030?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
SOOO if you had the spare $$ to spend on a OKM eXp 5000 .... you would stick with the Sovereign is what you are saying........
..... You don't seem to under stand that there are some of us that are happy with what we have .............. More paid for a detector does not mean more finds ........ there is a lot i mean a lot that think the more they pay the more the detector will find......... But not so ......... Then there are the ones that are never satisfied with no matter what detector they have................ If they paid $1400.00 for it and one comes out for $2400.00 they want it.... Then if one comes out for $4000.00 they want it.. And so on and so on.............. It is a ego trip for them....... Those high priced detectors will not find any more than my GT or AT Pro..... Just in there dreams......... They pay for a lot of bells & whistles....

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading this thread for about an hour now. You guys are funny. Nobody has mentioned a ML CTX3030. I just bought one today. The last time I metal detected was about 32 years ago. I just decided to get back into it and I have no true experience. Any thing I should know about the CTX 3030?

It's not the ace 250.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
... i mentioned the 3030 just a post below your post..I said the Sovereign will find as much and go as deep as the 3030 for 1/3 the price.....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow ! A few things have changed in mding. They say that's THE detector of all detectors. Good luck and keep us posted!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
:) hahahahh true that

i did read quite a lot of reviews on the 250. many many complaints........ i didn't see any negative words about the 3030
......... You guys must not read i said the Sovereign will go as deep as the 3030 just a post or 2 above yours...........And Minelab people will never put down there detectors no matter how bad it might run ...... They are a scared if they say something bad about there Minelab detector they will be struck down by lighting ... You know Minelab users are a religious cult........ And once you are in that cult you can not speak bad about it..........BUT I AM A MINELAB USER BUT I AM NOT A SCARED OF THERE LIGHTING.....

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here we go again this is crazy anyways I bought my v3i not for bells & whistles but because og the adjustments ur able to make anytime anywhere

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have to make all those adjustments with my sovereign .............. And i will go just as deep and find just as much as all you... V users and 3030 users....... I don't have to waste my time on adjustments....

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have to make all those adjustments with my sovereign .............. And i will go just as deep and find just as much as all you... V users and 3030 users....... I don't have to waste my time on adjustments....

Bro did I say anything bad at all about the sovereing no did I say anything bad about the minelabe no did I say anything bad about anyones detector no & im not wasting time im getting the best out of my detector that I like use What u like ok stop crying putting everyone down, u use What u like they use What they like enough

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
I still dont get it..... the OKM eXp 5000 goes to 80 feet ..... what MDer would not buy it if they had 50k for a detector. "Those high priced detectors will not find any more than my GT or AT Pro" under this theory why get even a AT PRO why not just stick with a 250.... or a radio shack cheapo? So your AT PRO is going to shoot that deep or you plan on taking it to a dive over 10 feet? Someone here is dreaming and its NOT the ones talking about how great their detectors are over the 250 or the AT PRO or what ever they say is better than a vs b.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not putting you down i am just saying how i like the Sovereign and why i like it ......... Every one here is putting down the 250 and it is not a bad detector.......I was just saying i like the Sovereign for it will , go as deep as any detector.... very few adjustments ....... And a very good price on it.............

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I still dont get it..... the OKM eXp 5000 goes to 80 feet ..... what MDer would not buy it if they had 50k for a detector. "Those high priced detectors will not find any more than my GT or AT Pro" under this theory why get even a AT PRO why not just stick with a 250.... or a radio shack cheapo? So your AT PRO is going to shoot that deep or you plan on taking it to a dive over 10 feet? Someone here is dreaming and its NOT the ones talking about how great their detectors are over the 250 or the AT PRO or what ever they say is better than a vs b.
.............I really don't think there is very many that want to dig 80 feet......... That is a long way down........... I know i would never dig 80 feet down so why waste my money................ Even with heavy equipment that is just to far to dig. ... I will go down and level off at no more than 3 feet with the back hoe but that is it............... 80 feet that is crazy...........I would probably hit water and drown............ And about water hunting i am not much for water hunting.........

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not putting you down i am just saying how i like the Sovereign and why i like it ......... Every one here is putting down the 250 and it is not a bad detector.......I was just saying i like the Sovereign for it will , go as deep as any detector.... very few adjustments ....... And a very good price on it.............

But u did.this whole topic has gotten way out of control for no reason ya there is no point in bashin any detector nothing no 50,000 machine or a $50 is gonna find anything if its not there & ya ur pissed there some knockin the 250 but think about ur posts how better r u. Now ur knockin everything ctx v3i etc cuz the adjusting is stupid right, arent u doin the same thing by knockin those because u have ur theory on they r just useless bella & whistles cuz im sorry there not. Let me ask u something u driving a car from.the 70's 80's? Bet u got a newer something since u started driving y bells & whistles cuz that old car or truck.still got u where u were goin u just thought it was time for an upgrade thats all. We should b all talking about our finds or places instead its a bunch of grown people arguing like kids on a play ground

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread